bkinnon

Dec 30, 1999
Hi, new to this excellent web site, and would appreciate some info. I have a 1980 KDX 250 that I have owned since new that my son is riding. I ride a 1990 KDX200, so, as I tend to hang onto all of my old iron, I would like to keep his bike in good original condition. Is there anyplace that I can buy NOS parts for the 1980? I don't have a dealer here that has a clue, and have found the internet to be the best place to find most everything. Any help will be appreciated. It really doesn't need much, I just would like a source for parts in the future. Thanks.

KawBoy

Aug 11, 1999
1980 isn't that old of a machine, so you ought to be able to get the basics from Kawasaki.  I've had good service from Midwest Action Cycles 1.800.343.9065   They are a Kawasaki parts warehouse and tend to have very competitive prices.  You may also check with Freedom Cycles 1.800.438.0727

------------------
Michael Stembridge
88 KX500
AMA #728373   GARTRA
BlueRibbon Coalition
Georgia Off Road

Jackpiner

Jan 3, 2000
along these same lines, i have a 1980 KDX175 that i'm trying to get running to ride in some local Turkey Runs this coming spring and summer...i have a spare parts bike but BOTH need a cylinder due to scoring of the walls. is there someone out there that can repair my cylinder cheaper than the near $300 price of an OEM cylinder?
any downsides to this?

-jack

KawBoy

Aug 11, 1999
Jackpiner, when I bought my KX500 the cylinder was trashed.  It had a crack on the skirt and the nikasil lining was chipped badly around the exhaust port.   After making some phone calls I decided to ship the cylinder out to Millineum Technologies (1.920.893.5595/1.920.893.4830).  They repaired (welded) the crack, bored, and replated the cylinder for under $250.  If your cylinder doesn't need any repair work it will be  $30-40 less.  

------------------
Michael Stembridge
88 KX500
AMA #728373 GARTRA BRC
http://dirtrider.net/gaoffroad
Georgia Off Road

bkinnon

Dec 30, 1999
Hi Jack, I don't have any info for your KDX...I think the message above this takes care of it for you...but I also have a couple of other older bikes in the stable... one of which is a 1973 Penton Jackpiner that I bought new at age 17. I am in the process, although a very slow process, of restoring. It doesn't need alot, just some tlc. I assume that with your screen name you may also have one or had one. Just curious.
Bill

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
bkinnon-
Are you certain that your bike is a 1980?  As best as I can recollect, Kawasaki only made the 175 and 400 (which was the same as the 79 model) in 1980, and added the 250 in 81.  Kaw did make the 250 KLX in 79, but I don't how many years they made it.  I only remember tearing the KLX's apart w/ an IT175.  
wink.gif

JackPiner-
It is no surprise that you cannot find a cylinder for the 80 KDX175.  In fact, in 1980 it was almost hard to find a KDX175 w/ a good cylinder.
wink.gif
  The 80-82 KDX175 suffered from a poor engine design- the piston rings had their gaps on the exhaust side of the piston, the rings were prone to snag the exhaust port and wreck the cylinder.

The 80 KDX has numerous potential problems-  the gas tank is too close to the pipe and might melt, the exhaust o-rings are forever blowing out, the brake pads are junk, the clutch throw out bearing has a very short life, and the mentioned engine problem.    

Of course, my green bike suffered from all those ailments, and I did devise cures-  I had the cylinder sleeved and ran a Wiseco piston (get an IT175 wrist pin bearing); I used Yamaha AT125 brake pads; I found some goo that "fixed" the gas tank; and I only replaced the throw-out bearing once (bike didn't run very often)...

There is a happy ending- the bike was stolen and I then became a proud owner of an 82 IT175.

Now, I wouldn't want to discourage you from your project bike, but mine was a unreliable, tempermental, BIG pile of green junk!  It kept me completely broke and I DNF'd almost every race that year (81).  

------------------
Vet A Enduro & Hare Scrambles Rider
Hey, I USED to be fast!

bkinnon

Dec 30, 1999
Re: the 1980 KDX 250....I am pretty sure it is an '80. I bought it new, but will check the manufacturers plate to see. I am now old and somewhat stupid, so I could be wrong.It has the two rear shocks...I believe the single shock uni-track came with the 1981 model. I have it registered and insured as an '80. Now I am questioning myself, and may have to leave work to go find out. I may leave work anyway. Wish I could do this and make $$$$. Thanks for the info...I will check it out and let you know.
Bill

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Yes indeed, Kawasaki did make a KDX 250 in 1980, and it was a dual shock model.&nbsp;&nbsp;A friend of mine owned one back in the 80's.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think he sold it around '88 or '89 and he still regrets it.&nbsp;&nbsp;I didn't like the retro look of the dual shocks so I bought an '82 IT 250.&nbsp;&nbsp;I thought the IT was easier to ride, but I couldn't climb a hill with it to save my life.&nbsp;&nbsp;My buddy's KDX could climb the steepest, gnarliest hills we could find.&nbsp;&nbsp;It became sort of a game trying to find a hill he COULDN'T climb.

Top Bottom