1980 yz 80 won't stay running

Clean the carb and make sure the float is operating properly. What are the exact sypmtoms of your problem?

what is the float? it will start fine and everything but then i will like take it for a little rip and i'll come to a stop and it'll just die.

i had a problem with an old bike of mine. let it warm up thoroughly for about 3-5 minutes then go. is it fouling a plug?

You take it for a little rip and it dies when you come to a stop? As in the bike doesn't idle? Does it start right up after it stops?

The float maintains the fuel level in the carburetor. If for some reason it's not opening all of the way (stuck or out of adjustment), the fuel level could drop slowly as you ride the bike and the bike may eventually die (run out of gas). The bike would be a little hard to start for a while after it died, until the bowl filled again.

It's not fouling the plug if it starts right up again. It sounds like it's just not idling. If you keep revving it when you come to a stop does it still die?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
2 Stokes aren't supposed to idle forever.. mine will die pretty quick, that's how I like it..

Patman

Pantless Wonder
Picup a service manual for your bike, it will help A LOT in understanding what the pieces are and basic trouble shooting & maintenance.

well i took off the carb and opened er up and it looks clean. and the float isn't stuck or anything. so i'll put it back on and i'm gettin a new plug and air filter as well so i guess we'll see how it goes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
tylerelias said:
well i took off the carb and opened er up and it looks clean. and the float isn't stuck or anything. so i'll put it back on and i'm gettin a new plug and air filter as well so i guess we'll see how it goes.

Looks? don't go by that, clean it..