tylerelias

Jun 10, 2007
what is the float? it will start fine and everything but then i will like take it for a little rip and i'll come to a stop and it'll just die.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i had a problem with an old bike of mine. let it warm up thoroughly for about 3-5 minutes then go. is it fouling a plug?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You take it for a little rip and it dies when you come to a stop? As in the bike doesn't idle? Does it start right up after it stops?

The float maintains the fuel level in the carburetor. If for some reason it's not opening all of the way (stuck or out of adjustment), the fuel level could drop slowly as you ride the bike and the bike may eventually die (run out of gas). The bike would be a little hard to start for a while after it died, until the bowl filled again.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It's not fouling the plug if it starts right up again. It sounds like it's just not idling. If you keep revving it when you come to a stop does it still die?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Picup a service manual for your bike, it will help A LOT in understanding what the pieces are and basic trouble shooting & maintenance.

tylerelias

Jun 10, 2007
well i took off the carb and opened er up and it looks clean. and the float isn't stuck or anything. so i'll put it back on and i'm gettin a new plug and air filter as well so i guess we'll see how it goes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
tylerelias said:
well i took off the carb and opened er up and it looks clean. and the float isn't stuck or anything. so i'll put it back on and i'm gettin a new plug and air filter as well so i guess we'll see how it goes.

Looks? don't go by that, clean it..

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
From what I gather, everything is working normally. You're just not used to the short idle period of a 2-stroke. You can adjust some things on the carburetor to make the bike idle for longer, but the best throttle respons and best resistance to fouling plugs is with the carb set to idle for only a second or two after you let off the gas.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If the black choke knob is adjustable, use that to bring it down (clockwise). Otherwise, there will be a screw near the center of the carb on the side (counter clockwise). That could be it. You might need to make some adjustments on the pilot screw to restore the throttle response, near the seperation of the float bowl/carb main body on the airbox side. 1 1/2 turns is a good start, if you can't get it right with plus or minus a turn, you'll have to change the pilot jet. For the pilot screw, counterclockwise is leaner, clockwise is richer. I don't know exactly what carb is on the bike, so things may be different, but this covers most carbs on 2-strokes.

If nothing you do controls the idle or the bike is slow to return to idle after a rev, the pilot jet may be too lean or there is an air leak.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
All that idling may have fouled the plug.

What is your startup procedure? On a 2-stroke, if the choke is off, you've got to roll on the gas a little as you kick it.

tylerelias

Jun 10, 2007
yea thats how i start it.

what kind of spark plug should i use for my bike? its an 81, i just figured that out when i went to get a new air filter and the 81 needs a cylinder type.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Reeds are what prevent pressure from the crank case from backing up into the carb.

They are in the block between the carb and crank case.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom