Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
My dad and I picked up a 1981 KE125 from my friend. He said he did everything he could to get it to run but it would only sputter. Well we got it running and my dad rode it down the road and it stalled. It has a carb on the side of the engine. It only has a idle screw and I was wonder were is the air screw.

digifox

May 25, 2006
tThe mixture screw is on the front of the carb. under the Engine cover
right under the throat....

also get a recommended plug and 1 hotter and 1 colder

And one gallon Leaded 110 octane (its about $5-7 per gal.) but it WILL clean out the engine and put a nice lead coating on the rotary valve and other parts...
(Trust me i`ve been running this stuff through my KD since 2006 and no rebuilds)

And Castrol Inj. oil is the best!

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
I dont see the adjusting screw. Theres one at the front of the carb that adjusts the idle but i dont see a air screw. There is a open hole right beside it but my friend said there isnt suppose to be one there.

digifox

May 25, 2006
oh...looking at the diagram of it, it looks like a Reed Carb, but there is no Mixture screw....So IDK

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
Thanks I was thinking of getting one but i dont know. Ill probally get one. but does any one have the point gap so i dont have to spend 27 bucks.

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
NO it is a rotary valve. all ke models are rotary valve. no theres probaly not an air screw. HAve you guys thuroughly cleaned the carb? also it's oil injection so make sure the oil tank is clean and has no air bubbles. clean the carb real well, then make sure the idle screw is set right. where would you even buy leaded gasoline? were are you located?

digifox

May 25, 2006
Trust me a manual will come in handy many times!

sm7482 said:
NO it is a rotary valve. all ke models are rotary valve. no theres probaly not an air screw. HAve you guys thuroughly cleaned the carb? also it's oil injection so make sure the oil tank is clean and has no air bubbles. clean the carb real well, then make sure the idle screw is set right. where would you even buy leaded gasoline? were are you located?

So is the KD, it has a idle screw and a mixture screw(Actually the KD and KE engines are the same)

And leaded gas would probably be available at a local Sunoco or somewhere that carries VP racing fuel(if you live close to some kind of race track to the station closes to it.) :cool:

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
We have cleaned the carbs really good. used carb cleaner, let them soak in this stuff my dad got, and poked wire down the jets. My dad thinks the carbs are fine but he thinks the timing is off does any one know what the points are suppose to be set to.

digifox

May 25, 2006
Dylan19302 said:
We have cleaned the carbs really good. used carb cleaner, let them soak in this stuff my dad got, and poked wire down the jets. My dad thinks the carbs are fine but he thinks the timing is off does any one know what the points are suppose to be set to.

Get a manual *shrug*
it has EVERYTHING in and even has a troubleshooting in the back...
They have detailed instructions on everything diagrams and all that jazz :nod:

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
is the piston ok? with age they do where down to the point where the barely run, an example? here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yGP-tF_R0
also ive read in various owners manuals not to put wires through jets because you might open the holes biger than they should be. Remove the exuast and look through the exhaust port on the engine. Alot of times you'll get alot of carbon build up causing the engine to run poorly or not at all. make sure your throttle and oil pump work in unison. definatly try checking for carbon build up. OH and if your spark plug has excessive carbon build up and you repeteadly clean it with a wire wheel ect they won't work as well somtimes. get a new plug or a few of em.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I've used wire from bread twistees many times to clean clogged jets and have never damaged a jet orifice. Just use relatively soft wire smaller than your hole.

targis34

Jul 4, 2007
Its the Dad....heheh
The bike was suffering from "splooge". Oil getting past a seal and into the crank and gas. It was pouring out of thew tailpipe and blowing white smoke everywhere. Its currently waiting on new seals. My parts dealer says he can't get them. Anyone have a suggestions. Everything ewlse seems fine. I dug up an old carb at the wreckers and got the air screw from it. Will give it a go.
Thanks Mike

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
On the seals, if you can remove the old ones and read the size from the sides, you can then check with a bearing distributor to get a replacement. You may end up getting seals 1 or 2 mm smaller or larger in width that will still work. As long as they're the right i.d. and o.d. for a rotating application. Just talk to the salesman about the application, they'll know what to get.

Without removing the seals to get size, measure the shaft and case where the seal press fits for the diameters.

Top Bottom