Tankerblade

May 23, 2008
I just got a 82 cr-480. but theres a few problems. one is that the head of the ignition coil (where it plugs in to the sparkplug) it comes off. is that normal??
Also it doesnt shift. the shifter moves its normal full range, but doesn't "click" into the gear and change gears. what can cause that?
Also what kind of difficulty will it be to get inside the engine and see what the problem is.
thanks

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
The spark plug connector should screw onto the coil wire. They are cheap and available at any auto parts store. Drain you oil and pull your clutch cover off. Inspect the shift spindle and drum stoppers (your shifter shaft goes through your cases to the right side, where it has an arm that moves the drum that shifts your gears). Sounds like your problem is there. Easy to get to if the problem is there.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Hmmm. Broken shift shaft, broken drum shaft on tranny, missing pins, seriously worn dogs (on every gear), or other stuff. But if not shifting into any gear, start under the clutch cover. My money is there (and if you find my money, plz mail it back). And when I said "any auto parts store" well, apparently not, around here, but any "motorcycle parts store" will have the spark plug cap to screw on your coil wire for about $5 or so.

Tankerblade

May 23, 2008
2strokerfun said:
Hmmm. Broken shift shaft, broken drum shaft on tranny, missing pins, seriously worn dogs (on every gear), or other stuff. But if not shifting into any gear, start under the clutch cover. My money is there (and if you find my money, plz mail it back). And when I said "any auto parts store" well, apparently not, around here, but any "motorcycle parts store" will have the spark plug cap to screw on your coil wire for about $5 or so.

Ok thanks for the coil wire tip. its fine i was just wondering if it was suppose to come off. thanks.

As for the clutch problem...i tried to get into there. but i think its just be being a retard cuzi cant get the cover off haha. so once i get it off i'll let you know what i see. thanks for the help again.

ps you'll get your money back. ;)

Tankerblade

May 23, 2008
2strokerfun:

good call. the problem was where you said it would be. found that part that i believe connects to the external shift mech. was loose and came off at some point. thanks alot! you saved me alot of money and time haha.

Tankerblade

May 23, 2008
ok instead of starting a new thread i thought it would be smart to continue on my old one since it kinda deals with the same problem.
Problem #1: cant get the clutch backet off. everytime i try to loosen it, the center part of the basket moves regardless of what i do to stop it. any ideas on how to stop it without damagin it.
Problem #2: Also i am missing a little pin to the shift drum stopper. is that really needed?
Problem #3: also if you do know what size (length)bolt goes into the shift drum stopper? i seem to have lost it.

Thanks for all who respond. It helps a noob like me who doesnt know crap

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I ususally use an air impact to remove the clutch hub nut, while holding the hub with a towel. It helps to have a clutch hub holding tool also. Sometimes I do that.

Top Bottom