1984 KDX 200 Wiring problems- general Info

Neilpryde

Jun 29, 2001
Hey all
i have a great amount of respect for you all after reading many of these threads. UMM i have a 1984 kdx 200. i recently tryed re wiring the lights etc back in after i have had the bike and when i got it they havent been wired in. The best i could do was i got my lights working but when i twisted the throttle it became brighter and there was too much current. anyy suggestions to y? is it my magneto??
also every know and then while riding i pick up neutral. is this my bad riding or just teh bike being old. i ride enduro and mx. any info is greatly appreaciated
cheers
al

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
G'day, Neil,
On bikes without batteries it is common for the light to be dim at idle and then brighten up as the revs increase. Did the lights used to work better than they do now? Do you have the right bulb in there?

I used to have an American model '84 and still have an owner's and service manual. If you will pay for postage to New S. Wales, I'd be glad to mail it to you. Send me a private message if you want this manual.

The manual shows that the bike only had a 6 volt, 25 watt light. Not very bright. The wiring diagram is actually pretty simple, the yellow wire out of the magneto is the only one that powers the light, all the others are for the ignition.

The service manual has a trouble shooting section. For 'Jumps out of Gear' the items listed are 1) Shift fork worn 2) Driveshaft, out put shaft or gear splines worn, 3) shift drum groove worn, and 4) shift fork guide worn. I think 1) is the most common. Take note of which gears it pops out of most - that will help if you need to make transmission and shifter repairs.

The manual has a good section on transmission rebuilding.

Neilpryde

Jun 29, 2001
Thanx dave

yeha man well thanx.
ummm yeah im not sure bout the lights working b4 hand . i have a big green wire that comes outta the magneto so is that what i connect to the light just straight on.
umm that was the one that went real bright like not justr dull but real bright the more i revved it so u got nay hints. ueha than for the offer of the manual but i have recievd one from a mate recentlythanx dude ur a legend anyways so bout this lite i aint sure eh. umm the gear thing i think is my riding as i went for a ride today and made sure to change properly and it didnt miss gears. is it recommed to use the cluthc to chage. ?????? or it dont matter
cheers
al

Neilpryde

Jun 29, 2001
Anyone that is selling a green number plate for front gard plz let me \know
as in insted of a light its a racing guard (plate)
cheers

Top Bottom