curranrules

Nov 15, 2006
Does anyone know what the proper readings are supose to be for a 84 kdx200 ? i have a clymer manual but the readings on my stator are twice the readings in the book! Or does anyone have any advice to give me....i'm tryin to get some more riding in before the snow flies thanks in advance

chicoman

Uhhh...
Nov 14, 2006
I don't know the exact value for your model but most stators I've seen are between 400 and 500 ohms (I'm assuming your talking about the exciter coil and not the triger coil). If your getting twice that than somethings very wrong. Check every connection, including your meter. If your stator is shot than you can probably have it rewound for cheaper than new, make sure you get it done profesonaly though. By the way, your stator is the 3rd most likely ignition component to fail after the sparkplug and kill switch.

KdX_SkUiRrEl

Oct 28, 2006
i ahd that bike, i just sold it actually, and i had stator problems. the problem i had was broken magnets. check those when you take your flywheel off, if they are alright then go ahead with the testing srry i dont know the exact specs.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Stator problems are common on the '84 KDX. It's amazing your original one lasted this long. Mine went bad, and so did my friend's with the same bike. This was back when the bikes were less than 5 years old.

Rewinding the stator should fix the problem.

radonc73

Nov 1, 2006
When I bought my 84 the guy gave me a pair of boots from the same era with a hole in the sole of the right boot. It took me one kick to figure it out. My bike wouldn't rev-up but the carb was still dumping gas, enough to fill the bottom 1/2. We had to take the jug off and put rags down there, the pipe was awfully hot also. That was before I got the net, we spent 4 weeks before someone suggested the stator. We didn't have a manual at that time.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom