1984 XR 200R - Barn beauty or run for the hills?

Deeler

Feb 19, 2000
Forgive me, fellow XR riders, it's been five years since I last owned an XR.

I've found a restored 1984 XR 200R - after limited use it was left in a barn for 20 years. The owner has spent some $$ getting it ready to sell - rebuilt dual carbs, forks, shock, plus new sprockets, chain, tires, exhaust seals, lights, spark plug, air & oil filter. The photos are impressive.

The price fits my budget for a trail maintenance bike that won't see any heavy (ab)use. I rode and raced an '82 XR200R for many years and understand the 84-85 machines are quite different.

I've done my homework and read posts on the RFVC, but I would like to hear from RFVC owners on living with the beast - both the good and the bad.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Im not a current owner, but I owned one. My 1984 XR500 had the RFVC motor. It had tons of torque. We rode that bike for years and never rebuilt it. From what I know they are strong, reliable motors. Of course, by todays standards, the XR500 is a bit of a pig. As you probably know, the XRs are alot less maintanance than the new generation 4 strokes. On the other hand, I would imagine a CR150F would be more powerful than the XR200. I know I would get bored with the power of an XR200, but we are all different. My YZ400F would eat my old XR 500 alive.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
If that 84 has dual carbs, it's the RFVC engine and still has pretty decent power. I think you'll find it as worthy as your 82 mount. If the price is right, might as well go for it.

Top Bottom