tjswigger

May 31, 2004
I just bought my first Husky an 85 500 auto. I don't know anything about the old Huskys and was looking for some feedback from any former Husky owners.
Any cronic problems,setup tips,suspension improvements etc.... or should I get rid of it and pick up something else???

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The auto's are very maintainance intensive bikes. I have owned several and have been around them since '76(first year for the US market). I believe the '85 is a 3 speed, the latter years were prone to go through 1st gear and as with all of them, the springs(tranny) broke which left you sitting. The fluid(Rand HD32 - texaco) needs to be changed every ride. The major problems came with mx'ing them, it's hard on first gear. The motoplat is weak, replace them with pvl ignition - they stand up to abuse and have a stronger spark - cost about $350.

The bottom line - they are like any old bike, they break and can be costly but are awesome if you ride trails.My dad still has his '81 which went through 2 enduro seasons and only one break which was not a DNF. Check out my photo's and you can see one of mine('86) which I sold last year.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
The previous owner was kind enough to supply extra springs along with explaining changing them.
Thanks for the oil tip and ignition warning.I will probably Hare Scramble this one a few times this year.I do my MX riding on an 83YZ 490 so I don't expect to use the Husky for that.
Any recommendations on air pressure for forks and shocks?The bike is almost mint with the original tires and grips still on the bike and appears to have been used little with 352 original miles on the odometer that still works!
I did go to your home page and check out your pics.Thanks for the tips!

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I would be very reluctant to race one due to age, particularly the 500. If I were going to vintage race, find an 430XC which wear very well with 1/4 the work to maintain.

Minus tires/grips I rode mine stock. I suggest calling Hall's Husky and asking for Jay, he can tell you allot about them. In addition, look up the Husky web site and call around and ask a few guys. There are a few collectors of the auto's but I'm not "in the circle" of those guys. The guy who bought my 430 owns several(8??).

I wish they would come out with another one - I would go back to Husky instantly. It's hard to beat being in the right gear every time!!

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
Thanks for the replies guys! I have checked out the Huskyclub site seems they know about all there is about the old Huskys.
I,ve been out on the Husky at one of Ohio's National forests sure wish I,d had one 20 years ago it goes through the woods with ease and barks loud! You should see the crazy looks I get on big hills and long fast straights! Someone allways stoped to gawk and shake thier head in amazement at the old auto roosting 20 ft of mud and rocks like a speedboat on the water.
If any manufacturer came out with an auto I'd be ordering one too! Just don't know what the future of motorcycles has in store for us.Who would have guessed 4-strokes would be where they are today!

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Just bought a '77 360 Auto - WOOHOOO!! Driving from Dallas to Indiana this weekend to pick it up and ride my other bike.
They are having the ISDE/T reunion at Zink Ranch this year - 2 days of riding with some of the older 6 day guys - can't wait!
You guys should try and make it - dust off that 'ole Husky!

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
:yeehaw: Awsome!!!Everytime I ride the Auto I get more attached to the fun of riding without having to shift.The fun factor can't be beat.You'll have to give us a post after you get a few rides in!

Top Bottom