adube59

Jul 24, 2009
Hi i am new to the site i just got a 1985 RM125 for free it sat outside all last winter but ran the previous summer. Coolant had leaked into the crank case so i replaced all the top end gaskets. But i still can't get it running it is no longer leaking coolent i know it has spark it has compression but i can't tell if the fuel is getting into the cylinder. When i put my hand against the air intake side of the carb i can feel very little air being sucked in and a lot being pushed out i don't know if this is normal with 2-stroke engines or not this is my first experience with them. I took the cylinder back off thinking it might be the reed valves i cleaned them up and checked for cracks but it still won't start. I am almost positive the carb is not gummed up because i can see fuel coming out of jet openings on air intake side of the carb, also when i kick it over the bowl over flow port on the bottom of carb starts leaking out fuel. I am stumped by this one any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
adube59 said:
Hi i am new to the site i just got a 1985 RM125 for free it sat outside all last winter but ran the previous summer. Coolant had leaked into the crank case so i replaced all the top end gaskets. But i still can't get it running it is no longer leaking coolent i know it has spark it has compression but i can't tell if the fuel is getting into the cylinder. When i put my hand against the air intake side of the carb i can feel very little air being sucked in and a lot being pushed out i don't know if this is normal with 2-stroke engines or not this is my first experience with them. I took the cylinder back off thinking it might be the reed valves i cleaned them up and checked for cracks but it still won't start. I am almost positive the carb is not gummed up because i can see fuel coming out of jet openings on air intake side of the carb, also when i kick it over the bowl over flow port on the bottom of carb starts leaking out fuel. I am stumped by this one any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron

Is the plug wet? Thats an indicator of whether or not gas is making into the combustion chamber....

Try this...pull the spark plug, dump a shot glass amount of gas down the hole...quickly replace the plug and start kicking. If it fires and runs breifly then dies, then you do have a fuel delivery problem....= dirty carb... massive vacuum leak, etc.

If the carb is overflowing, the needle valve is probably dirty/gummy, and so the jets are probably also gummed up. And if its always overflowing, then the bowl level is too high and that will mess you up as well

Top Bottom