Twistagrip

Jun 4, 2002
Just picked this one up for a fixer upper. Could'nt pass up the $300 price tag! Has anyone had one of these? What was your impression? What mods would you make and why? The bike is bone stock but the pipe is shelled. What pipe would yield the best performance for trail riding(low end)? As far as I know my only options are(availability):
1.New stock pipe
2.Pro-Circuit Platinum
3.DG
I know it is old, but i have fun restoring. Not to mention, the looks on peoples faces when they see me riding on brand new 20 year old bikes, is priceless!
Any comments welcome,
John

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I would go with the Pro-Circuit, as it will offer power gains. The Stock pipe will cost more than any of the others.

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
One of my friends had one years ago and I loved the power. It didn't have any glitches in the powerband as I remember. He sold it because the ignition module would only last about 10 hours before it would go bad. He never found the cause.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I bought an 86 RM125 last spring and the pipe was in pretty poor shape. After much searching I ordered a DG pipe and was promised delivery in 3 weeks. Well 3 weeks turned into 3 months before I called DG directly instead of my dealer and found out that they take orders until they have enough for a production run (Usually about 20 pipes minimum) and then they produce them. Mine was the only pipe on order at the time I contacted DG. I ended up taking the pipe to a shop and was amazed at the repair they were able to do and it's been fine since! Bottom line if you call around about a pipe make sure it is IN STOCK and not oh sure we can get you one in a few weeks time. Good Luck

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
If the rear suspension linkage is anything like the one on the 1986 RM 125 torque and loctite all of the linkage bolts. Mine had the annoying tendency to fall out even when torqued properly. Unfortunately, I hadn't yet been introduced to loctite...

Twistagrip

Jun 4, 2002
Thanks for all the info! I have been leening toward the Pro-Circuit as I have not yet tried one of those yet. I have a DG on my YZ465 and it has worked very well. Sorry to hear about your delays in getting yours. I must have been lucky. Thanks for the tip on the loctite, I will be sure to use it!
Thanks for the post guys,
John

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
I had an '85 RM250. It was one of my all time favorites- and one that Suzuki couldn't match with subsequent models for years. The Full Floater rear suspension was the best of its time, and is still considered by many to be on a par with anything offered to date. If I remember right the motor dynoed at approx. 37 rear wheel horsepower. It was very smooth, useable HP too. Although for some of us the motor lacked a real strong hit. As with all Suzukis, especially the older models, loctite everything. I ran mine stock except for boyesen reeds and was pleased with the performance. As with all older machines, I would recommend tearing it down to the frame and checking everything for cracks, wear, etc. Rebuild as necessary. Have fun! BTW this bike is incredibly easy to whip over jumps. More so than any other bike I have had. I also had a YZ465H (81). Awesome bike, huh?

scrunchyface7

Jun 24, 2022
Have zero clue as to what hoov165x is talking about but it's not an 85rm250 that to my knowledge was never successfully run on a dyno because it would blow up. I was dumb enough to buy an 85rm250 and it was the worst 250 i have ever owned with crappy only top power, wouldn't take full power shifts, overheated no matter what you did and responded like crap to any and all mods. A 1984cr250 would absolutely smoke it as well.

Top Bottom