1986 CR 250 ... Power year???

jaco12

Mar 11, 2006
Hey guys, my buddys uncle is selling a 86 CR 250, and he keeps going on about its the " power Year ", can some one please fill me in on what that means?? im assuming its alot faster than the previous models?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The bike has a modest top end but has a ton down low and in the midrange. With a flywheel weight, it rides like a 4-stroke.

In 86, the bike was lightyears ahead of anything offered by any other manufacturer so it was a power year in that aspect. It didn't have the fastest motor, but the suspension/geometry is closer to what you would find on a modern bike. 86 was the last year for the drum rear brake. 87 got a removable clutch cover as well, which makes maintenance much easier. 88 got the inverted cartridge fork which pretty much puts in line with a modern bike. The suspension on the 86/87 bikes works great in a lot of situations and can soak up most jumps you throw at it, however, it does have a few shortcomings in some situations.

The power valves are difficult to setup properly and the bike will lack severely in the midrange and top end if you don't get them working right.

I have always heard 85-87 were the power years for the CR500.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Don't know what "power year means", but I used to own one and they rock. Loads of bottom and midrange power, not a top end beast. I miss my old "big red" soo much.
Things to note:

the water pump on these years was made out of the wrong material. You need to pull the rh clutch cover( houses the water pump) and coat the inside of the entire water pump with epoxy. Fixed. Don't think " i will just buy a new rh clutch cover" as I did this and it leaked after 4 hours and I had to coat the new one with epoxy.

Next, the power valve is prone to getting stuck. I never had this problem but if you keep it clean and run a clean synthetic 2 stroke oil it's all good.

Other than that they are a cool bike.

On the power year thing maybe he is referring to the fact that around this era Honda were making bikes with as much power as possible and they hit hard. Later they tried to smooth out the hit to make the tire spin less. But I love a hit.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
About those sticky powervalves. Sure, they are more prone to sticking than other designs, but they are so easy to clean once you figure out a good technique so you should never have this problem. Run a good oil and they'll stay clean. I ran Bel Ray HC-1 and the valves came out cleaner than they went in (the piston crown got a little dirty, though). I'm currently running Amsoil Racing without any build-up.

My 87 doesn't have much of a hit at all. I haven't run it without the gargantuan flywheel weight, though. If it's not muddy and I don't end up riding Georgetown, I'll pull it next week and maybe I'll tell you how it goes.

Top Bottom