Jan 26, 2009
Hey all, i got a few questions i could not find in the search
I am brand new to bikes and just got a 1986 CR125 given to me.
It has been sitting for 2 years but runs great, i want to change most of the fluids and what not but i cant find any information on what weights or anything like that. also from what year to what year did honda use the engine that is on the 86 CR125?

Does this thing have tranny fluid and gear oil? (i have been told it shares the same motor gear oil but i donno)
What are the recommended weights / brands? I live in Yuma AZ (very hot here)

Or is there a site or thread i can use to get all the info i need for maintenance ?

Thanks =) this looks to be a great site like honda-tech for my honda civic.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
I just completely rebuilt from the ground up a 1985 Honda CR125 and used to own and race a 1988 Honda CR125.

Honda used basically the same Design on the 1985 and 1986 Honda CR125 and a lot of the parts are interchangable.

Besides changing all the fluids you should check the Steering Stem bearings, the Wheel Bearings, the Linkage and also check the Shock Mounts (for cracks).

I use Maxima Super M at 32:1 mixed with my Gas. I use Maxima MTL-75wt Gear Box Oil in the Tranny (regardless of what people tell you, Do Not, I repeat Do Not use Car Oil or Transmission Fluid in your Gear Box). I use Peak Antifreeze for the Radiator.

If you don't want to use Maxima Brand Oils I would go with Bel-Ray MC-1 for your Pre-Mix and Bel-Ray Gear Saver SAE 75 for your Tranny.

Good Luck with your 1986 Honda CR125. They are great bikes, and if you need any recommendations as far as Hop-Up Mods let me know. These bikes can be made to rip. I am racing mine in the 250cc 4-Stroke Class in Motocross and am going to even start doing some Enduros as soon as I send my Forks off to Too Tech to be set up.

lake

Oct 30, 2008
What will happen if you use car oil in your gear box? I went to my local honda dealer and they said that i could use the honda stuff or just dump some 10w-40 in it and they said it would work fine.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
A lot of times the Car Stuff especially the Transmission Fluid will Gum up the Clutches Fiber Plates on the 2-Stroke Machines. I know a lot of old guys that use 10w-40w Car Oil in their XR250's and XR600's though.

XXXMSTXXX

Jan 22, 2009
Clymer makes a manual for 80's Honda 125's that you can propably get from a local shop or online that has all the specs. Theres also microfiche service sites like Bike bandit and service honda if you need to locate part numbers.

Jan 27, 2009
atf-f is what alot of smokers swear by, it should say how much on your clutch cover to pour in, and you can use your ratio-rite to measure it. (1ml=1cc)
make sure you mix your coolant 50/50 with water

Jan 26, 2009
Thanks for all the info guys =). I think I will go and buy one of the manuals.

Im going to head to the local bike shop today =D.

Jan 26, 2009
Oh and an added question,

Coolant: Is there anything else with that i should be replacing? any kind of pump or what not.

And can i just use any 50/50 coolant or is there a special bike kind i need to pick up?

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
lumpy790 said:
I have tried others even when I was sponsored by another oil company but always end up going back to BelRay 80W in my 2 smokers. You will notice the trans shifts much smoother with it.

Lol. Noticed how I mentioned Bel-Ray Gear Saver too. I am not sponsored by Bel-Ray. Shhhhh. It is just that good of a product.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom