MX500

Jun 15, 2008
I just put a deposit on a 1986 KDX200 last night. The bike was re-sleeved about 2 years ago, and hasn't been ridden much. The factory plastics are all still on the bike along with the majority of the stickers and the "KDX" badging on the seat isn't even worn off. It has lisence plates, and I'm getting it for $450. :cool:

Does anyone on here own one of the air cooled KDX's? I was wondering what to expect reliability-wise. Also, if anyone has an idea of what gas mileage they get let me know because I was thinking of commuting with the bike.

What modifications should I start with? The suspension is a bit soft and the bike could use a little help in the horsepower department since my last mount was a very well tuned CR500.

Can any newer inverter forks and triple clamps be adapted to this bike?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If the forks are stock, start with stiffer springs and Race Tech cartridge fork emulators. For trail use, this is the best thing you can do to the bike.

You'll probably get 70 - 85 miles on a tank under casual trail and road use. Babying it on the road you might get up to 100. In deep mud or on the throttle all the time (pushing HARD on the road) mayble only 50 - 55 miles on a tank. As with any pre-mixed 2 stroke, if you are on the road, be careful about engine braking from high speed (hot motor + no cooling fuel and lubricating oil = seizure).

Make sure the linkage bearings are lubed. On the old style linkage, the upper rocker arm pivot is known to go dry and can be very expensive to replace and repair.

The '86 - '88 are reliable and run fairly strong when in good shape. The big bore 240 kits add lots of low end, but will usually not rev out as well as a stocker unless you port the cylinder. The big bore will also suck down way more fuel.

Top Bottom