Benesesso

May 11, 2005
My 1986 KDX200 has been getting harder to start, although it ran fine with an Iridium plug gapped real close at .018". The crummy ignition wouldn't fire even a new plug at .025"

OK, must be the stator coil. Checked the ohms; right on the money (I know; doesn't mean diddley). Hooked up my analog AC voltmeter to the red&white/black stator wires, only got ~20 VAC with a good kick--spark plug out.

Time to see just how much VAC it takes to get the CDI to fire. Hooked up my Lionel train transformer to the red&white/black CDI input side, and frame-grounded a good spark plug gapped at .018".

No spark up to the max. output of the Lionel, ~20VAC. Figured 60HZ was like the engine at 3,600 RPM. Now what? Switched to a transformer I have, set it to 50 VAC, got good sparks. Opened the gap to ~.080", no sparks at all. Tried 55 VAC, got a few sparks. Tried 60 VAC, got a few more but not consistant. I mean I used to have an old Clinton 1 1/2 HP engine with a plain ol' magneto, and it would throw 1" long sparks easily by turning the crank by hand. Yes, I know, slow voltage-rise time.

Put the gap back to ~.025", only got intermittent sparks. Tried 60 VAC again, more intermittent sparks, then POW!!!

Seems there was too much smoke inside the CDI unit, and now it's all out.

Anyone have a GOOD CDI for sale? I'll try that, and then probably end up buying a Ricky Stator coil. Anyone know if a later model CDI is better than the early ones?

Benesesso

May 11, 2005
Thanks for the reply. I have found and bought another CDI on eBay yesterday. The seller will refund the $100 if it doesn't work.

I'll try it with the old stator coil, and if I still don't get good sparks I'll buy a Ricky Stator coil. If they don't make good sparks, I have a big MSD "Blaster" car-size coil that ought to make some BIG sparks.

Has anyone managed to get big sparks out of that puny little stock Kawasaki coil? Too bad Kaw didn't make something like a Mercury outboard motor "Thunderbolt" ignition. That will fire just about any plug, oil-coated or not. The label on mine says "Be Careful--Lethal Voltages"! I guess it provides ~40,000 volts @ 1 amp. or so----.<g>

spestis

Jan 1, 2009
I’m 3 weeks deep on trying to get my 86 to have some kind of spark. It’s hard to find accurate info on any part of the ignition system. I have opened my CDI (21119-1199 / cu1580) and it has several additional components compared to the following years. Out of desperation I purchased the HTCDI from electrexworld/co/uk for $100 shipped. It is a CDI and coil combo unit. My hope is it comes in within the next year; then I’ll move to praying it works well. My brand new Ricky Stator coil is 51.7 ohm. What’s yours?

Benesesso

May 11, 2005
Problem resolved--bad CDI. Fired right up with a used eBay CDI.

Checked compression--only 90 psi with several hard kicks on a cold engine (wide open throttle). One of these days I'll get around to a new top end--cylinder has a small crack down in the reed box area.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Congratulations on getting it going.

Check the compression after it has been ran for a while and the parts are warmed up and have a proper ring seal.

Top Bottom