BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have an old 1986 XR250R that I have owned for nearly twenty years now. It was just gathering dust in the shed so I got the wild idea to restore it for dual sport use. So far, it has been a pretty inexpensive proposition. Forward Motion did an exceptional (and inexpensive) job on the top end, and I have only limited time and money invested in the rest of the bike to bring it back to like-new condition. However, the shock is another story altogether. The shock body is worn pretty badly. You can see and feel a step in the inside diameter at the bottom of the piston’s stroke. Also, there is a small area of missing chrome from the shaft so I cannot get the shaft seal to stop leaking, even after replacing the seal head and polishing the shaft. The shock seems to work well enough for dual sporting so if I could stop the leak at the shaft seal I would probably be happy. The way I see it, I need to have the shaft re-chromed and live with the worn body or shell out the money for a new shock. Any suggestions? Who could do the shaft re-chroming for me?

Oh, what about a replacement shock. I see that Works Performance and Progressive both sell a non-remote reservoir shock for under $500.00. Anyone have experience with either company’s products? Will a non-remote reservoir shock meet my needs? Will it be an improvement over a stock ’86 XR shock?

Thanks in advance.

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
I have had several shafts rechromed and even new shafts made for some older bikes, thru MX-Tech. I think the price for a new shaft was around a hundred dollars or so.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have been watching that auction site (****, LOL!) for a used shock but I suspect that any used shock that old will have similar problems.

Yeah, I should probably give Jer a call a see what advice he can offer.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
It may be worthwhile to roll the dice on a $50 used one before a $500 new one.

If you call around and ask if anything can be done to build up the bore size/hard anodize, etc., please report back. I am curious to know myself.

Thanks.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You could just get the staft rechromed if thats where the leak is from, the step in the body will just allow a small amount of oil to blow by the piston.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah, I talked with Jeremy at MXTech today and it sounds like I have a few good options other than buying a new shock. I am going to send it off to him and get his expert opinion.

This is turning into a really cool project. The bike looks and runs great. My eleven year old daughter has claimed it for her own and plans to ride it when she out grows her XR100R.

I'll let y'all know how the shock turns out.

Thanks again!

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
WOW! That is a great looking bike. Congratulations. I saw some pictures in magazines of those red, white and blue XR's back when they were current. I thought they looked great then and now. That is a great looking XR!

Oh yeah. Let us know how the shock turns out.

mach1

Oct 17, 2000
Nice bike! I have an '87 and wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Same goes for my '90 XR200, my '87 XL600 or even my anemic '84 XR80 that every kid in the neighborhood learned to ride on! They just keep going and going.... None of mine look anywhere near as sweet as yours though. You've inspired me to restore mine!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

Nice bike!

Thanks.

I am kinda attached to the thing and probably could not part with it. I bought it in 1987 ($1500.00!) from a co-worker who had borken his collar bone shortly after buying it new. I wanted it because I thought it would be good for trail riding with my wife. I ended up racing it for three seasons in the D-14 enduro series. I then moved on to a KDX, a KTM, and then a YZF but I kept the darn thing to ride with my kids as they were learning. Then, my son rode it for a couple years before moving on to a KDX. The thing has seen almost every inch of Michigan and I just finally pulled the top end off this fall.........after eighteen years!

Eric Gorr did the top end with a 2mm overbore, 11:1 Wiseco, new OEM valves, new OEM springs, and a head refresh job. It runs soooooooo nice.......can't wait until Jeremy is done with the shock!

Yeah, I got a little carried away stripping and repainting stuff but it looks really nice, I gotta admit.

Oh yeah, we have a 1986 XR100R too that every one in the family has learned to ride on. My 11 year old daughter is riding it now and has her eyes on the 250!
:yikes:

Top Bottom