cptarmy2002

Dec 3, 2005
Ok - Purchased an 86 XR250R for really cheap...(like super cheap :cool: )

Doesn't smoke, has a Supertrap muffler and starts on 2nd kick w/out any compression release - Shifts perfectly, clutch works great, no valve clickingetc...

1 small problem - Idles rough...will idle fairly high with the idle stop adjusted...but when I try to back it down to a normal 1K or so RPM, it sputters and eventually dies.

Two thoughts -
1) The carb is a little gummed up on the idle circuit and a good cleaning will bring the bike idle back to even...that's the easy fix...

2) Because of the Supertrap, the jetting is wrong and the bike is running rich/lean and won't idle...

Other than that, this is going to be my playbike...I don't care if I drop it, scratch it etc...

Thoughts on getting the bike to idle evenly...

PS which way does the air screw change the bike??? Clockwise is lean or clockwise is rich???

Thoughts?

Frank

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
On that carb it isn't an air screw - it is a fuel screw; Looking at it from the bottom - yes lay on your back (just kidding). Clockwise goes in and gives you less fuel (leaner) while counterclockwise gives you more fuel (richer).

The supertrapp might make it a little lean if you had 12 disks or more in it - but this wouldn't cause that big an issue at idle. BTW, baseline setting for your fuel screw is 1.5 turns "out".

Clean the air filter and change the spark plug. My vote for root cause of your idle issue is a clogged pilot circuit in the carb. Remove carb and clean with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air.

jeff

p.s. My playbike is a 2004 xr280 with ohlins forks and an ohlins shock, etc...

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
hey, euro gasgas, where did you get your forks for the xr280, i would like to do something similar.

Top Bottom