justathink

Apr 23, 2009
in short bike is hard to kick some times, the kick locks up. so my neighbor and i have torn the bike down going through the obvious first leading us to the rotor to find, the copper coil (i believe is the lighting coil)and 2 screws that had held it in place snapped and disintegrated part of the magnets so i need to replace the rotor. This is a very hard rotor to find does any one know others that interchange.Also am i correct about the copper coil being the lighting coil and if so is it necessary to replace this if my lights are not connected

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Some of your part names appear to be a little off. On bikes, rotor usually refers to a brake disc.

I think you are talking about the magnets on the inside of the flywheel breaking off. This is common on older KDX's.

Underneath the flyheel is a lighting coil as well as the stator. The stator is part of the ignition system, and stator failure is also common on older KDX's and can result in it being impossible to start the bike. The old stator can be rewound by a company like Ricky Stator.

The '86 - '88 KDX200 should share the same parts. I'm not sure if an older flywheel from an '83 - '85 would work. You could try calling Jeff Fredette at Fredette Racing Products and ask him, as he will know for sure. Perhaps he even has a used flywheel to sell.

Last edited:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
There's something somewhere about fitting a tecate flywheel to those bikes..... Do a search here and I think you'll turn something helpful up.

justathink

Apr 23, 2009
sorry i was not clear yes i was talking about the magnets in the flywheel, i spoke with rick stator they said the cooper coil i am referring to is the lighting coil and the bike will run with out it just not the lights witch is the case before we took it apart .the problem was it would not kick it would seem to be locked up and as i said before this coil was completely broken off and the magnets in the flywheel are looking 1 completely chewed, 2 chipped and unglued, 1 still hanging in there.so what i really wanted to know is is anyone in agree with i do not need to replace the lighting coil (copper coil) and what other years or sizes ought fit this bike. thanks for your patience

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Hi. On the Kawasaki parts diagrams, the round doo-hickey with the magnets is called "rotor". Some may call it a flywheel and the words are interchangeable.

Look for posts from an Italian guy who cut a new key slot in a rotor (flywheel) for a Tecate. Ricky Stator sells the stator coils (ignition and lighting) as well as a new rotor for the Tecate, which includes a cover over the magnets.

Good luck with this common older KDX killer.

gbruno21

Jun 12, 2010
1988 Rotor

I have the same problem with my 1988 KDX rotor (flywheel). The magnets came off of the flywheel cover causing my kick start lever to lock up. Is it possible to epoxy the magnets back onto the flywheel cover and re-use the existing one? A new one costs $350 minimum from bikebandit.

justathink

Apr 23, 2009
thanks for all the good info

I took the flywheel /rotor/magneto to a alternator repair shop $10.00 he epoxed what was left of them in. Put the bike back together, till the clutch case gave me a a new load off crap to deal with one bolt hole has hair line cracks and it does not want to seat flush after i waited a week for a new gasket and tried 4 times. I think it has to do with the weld on the inside of the cover. so i added extra gasket sealer did the best job i could for now (i must hear her run) bolted her up. she runs with just ignition coil. but must still fix leak in clutch cover and i have a excesive idle thats scaring me.

justathink

Apr 23, 2009
Thanks , I know your right i just want to ride. I will open it again. There is a weld inside the case I Think this might have something to do with it see what I can do.

Justin mason

Oct 24, 2020
I'm going this route thought this might help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201024-183723_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201024-183723_Chrome.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 410

Justin mason

Oct 24, 2020
1988 Rotor

I have the same problem with my 1988 KDX rotor (flywheel). The magnets came off of the flywheel cover causing my kick start lever to lock up. Is it possible to epoxy the magnets back onto the flywheel cover and re-use the existing one? A new one costs $350 minimum from bikebandit.
Check out regulator rectifier com
260 completely new replacement with lighting coil and stator and flywheel

Top Bottom