MooreRM125

May 5, 2009
I bought this bike and the guy told me it had bad compression and the head was off it. It came with a wiseco piston for a 1989 which obviously isnt going to fit but i can still use the ring. The last ring on it was stuck only where the black in the picture was, so i pulled it out with a screwdriver then i noticed its smaller and i would have to like force the ring in there so can i file or sand it a little bit so the new ring will fit.

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 200

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The exhaust bridge is seizing the piston, and ring. Either the bridge was not properly relieved, or you have a blown right crank seal. The cylinder needs to be checked with a bore gauge, and determined if the bore is still good. Out of round or oversize? Its all fixable!

MooreRM125

May 5, 2009
What do you mean by properly relieved? Is my piston still good? And sorry but if my right crank seal is blown would that make me crank wobble left and right

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The exhaust bridge is a thin strip of metal that runs through the exaust port. As the engine heats up this thinner metal can expand and cause that scuffing of the piston if it's not ground out a little to allow for expansion. If the crank seal is blown the aluminum from the clutch plates that is in the tranny oil can build up on the bridge and cause clearance issues.

And no, the crank seal has nothing to do with side to side movement of the crank.

MooreRM125

May 5, 2009
i guess the bike has been resleeved before and i dont see any signs of buildup on that thin piece in between the exhaust ports so im guessing my crank seal is fine, i guess im going to bring it somewhere tomorrow to see if the bore is alright or not...o andd would i notice a buildup on it if my crankseal was blown

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The piston is aluminum, it will make a nice desk top item. See if the bridge cleans up, WD40 and a green scotch brite pad, and see if it comes off? Someone put a sleeve in it? Chances are good, the bridge was never relieved properly. The bore should be like .0015"~.002" bigger than the skirt of the piston, clearance. That bridge in the middle, needs to be about .001"~.0015" extra! If you check the bridge with a feeler gauge and the new piston skirt, it needs to be .0025"~.003" at the bridge, the rest of the bore should be .0015"~.002". I think the service limit is like .003"? But that gouge in your piston, paper weight. This does happen a lot, cylinders get bored by guys trained in 4 strokes? All the ports need to be chamfered also.

Top Bottom