91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I have a chance to by this bike from a friend for $800, and was wondering if the model is anygood. I only race 2 strokes and am not familiar to the 4 stroke world. Its in good running condition, doesn't have any real problems that I have seen. But does the bike model have any defects? And what would I have to do to make it a competable Race/ Trail bike? I like the bike because of the low end and it is really low to the ground, but I want it to come a live a little bit more if possible. But I am really interested if the model of the bike has any big problems or defects.

Ben

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Ben, do a search on TTR225 - probably both here & 4 stroke forums.
The main problem I've heard people bitching about is the weight. From what I've gathered, it's a "why the hell did Yamaha even make them" type bike.
Hope that helps some & that you find the info you're after.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Thanks Michelle. I did a ton of searches, and didn't really find what I was looking for. I also thought the bike was heavy, but I am comparing it to a 2 stroke, and I am not really sure how heavy it is compaired to other 4 strokes. The weight thing is not really an issue, I think it should be a good muscle builder and therefore should make a really good practice bike. Still haven't heard of any major defects about the model itself. Thanks again

Ben

03YZ85Rider

Aug 8, 2003
This bike is purely a beginner/ trail bike. Don't expect to jump it either, it weighs around 270 lbs. and is a terrible handling bike. My neighbor bought a new one back in 01' and so far just about every single thing on the bike is shot. The transmission even broke, now it only has first gear! The forks are way past blown, also it appears the forks aren't even rebuilable, just throw aways. The shock is very soft now too. The rear tire wore through the subframe in the back from bottoming out and the rear fender just fell off, also it took the rear seat mounts with it so now the seat is held on by a piece of wire wrapped around the top. For some reason Yamaha decided to put an 80cc sized chain on a 270 pound bike, (a 428). Oh, and the clutch made strange noises too before the transmission blew. And yes he maintained it too, always a clean air-filter, oil-filter and oil, greased bearings, etc. The bottom line is they are unbelieveably crappy bikes that Yamaha should be ashamed to put their name on. And I am not against Yamaha in general either as I ride a 2003 YZ 85.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
This sounds bad but that was exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks you you just saved me 800 bucks. You didn't completely shy my insterest from the bike, but if I don't find anything else I will more than like go with the ttr. The bike is not really for me but it is for my cousin (newbie). So he doesn't know good suspension from bad. Thanks again

Ben

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Yes they are heavy, underpowered, and undersprung....but, my wife's '00 held up well for the 3 years we had it. The handlebars got bent so we put another set of $20 bars and some Rally handguards and never had another problem with them. A buddy broke both fenders off (same day...looong story!) and we replaced them. Another buddy broke the rear fender off (looped out...then decided he'd rather ride a CBR600RR) again. But, other than those things that's all we ever had to do to it. In really tight trails I was just as fast on it and less tired than I was riding my '01 KX250. DONT EVER try and jump it, suspension is waaayyy too soft. The weight of the bike is carried really low so my wife never complained about it (unless she fell off on the side of a hill and the wheels were higher than the bars, then Yes, it was a heavy bastage!). It had the magic button which we were both VERY grateful for. The clutch was really tough to pull (up until recently I had never pulled a clutch so stiff) but I have a new buddy with a YZ426 and his clutch is MUCH harder to pull (dang near impossible after riding a couple of laps). It's a VERY quiet bike as long as you leave the pipe's endcap on. I could ride around the neighborhood all day long (when I actually lived in a neighborhood) and no one would ever bat an eye at me. Big gas tank so it'll go forever if full and there's also a reserve. The seat is very wide (ATV like) which is OK if you stand up, sit down, and throw your legs out in the turns, but my wife would have bruises on the inside of her thighs after a 3 or 4 hour ride (she NEVER stands up and only puts her feet out when in deep sand, and going through turns, and water, and...well, you get the point, both of her feet are always sticking straight out to the side). So, that's my opinion of the bike. I didn't hate it. Granted their are MUCH funner bikes out there (I rode the neighbor kids CRF230 and absolutely LOVED it!), but if you use it for what it is (a TRAIL BIKE), then there's no reason it couldn't be fun. I taught 5 people how to ride a motorcycle on it and they were able to pick it up (the riding part) very well and their confidence was high once they spent a few minutes on it.....and their smiles were HUGE!
So, if you are still interested, go take a look and a spin on it. If it seems fun enough and is in good shape (aesthetically and mechanically) then $800 is a good deal. I don't know anything about the 1987 models and I'm sure a lot has changed since so it'd be a shame to let our opinions of the newer bikes to keep you from at least looking at it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Did Yamaha even make the TT-R line up in 1987?? I recall DT's, XT's and TT's but not TT-R's in the 80's but then I'm no moto historian.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I think Chili's right. Back in 87 they made a tt225, but not a ttr225. Today's TTR is basicly an updated TT and they're both based on the XT line of offroad/enduro bikes.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I am sorry it is a TT 225 not a ttr. I don't know why I thought it was a ttr. I am still clonsidering it. Is there anyway I could find some stiffer springs for the forks and shock? I don't really want to dump a whole lot of money into but stiffer suspension would be really nice. The bike is in really really good mechanical condition, its only had 3 owners and and all three never really rode it, (I can only guess why)... The plastics are scratched and that is about the only problem with it, although it needs new tires, and new H Bars. I am still considering it. Thanks for all of the help!

Ben

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I noticed in your original post you wanted to know what to do to make it a competent race/trail bike. My only suggestion is to buy something else! While it is a competent trail bake at its most basic level, there is no way you can modify it to be ridden aggressively. Try to ride it over its limits and you will seriously hurt yourself and/or damage the bike. My wife has one and the only place I ride it is onto the trailer!

jack909

Oct 7, 2003
no i wouldent go with that bike for sure cause that would bwe a horibly thing to do with your cusin i think it would be a hard beginer bike due to the weight to power issu and it would prob fall apart i would go with somthing more like a honda xr for him that was my first bike and i think that bike is a bit over priced because one of my older bikes that i have thats i didnt ever sell for unknown reasens i guess i thought i was gona ghost ride it but i never did enyways i have it selling for $800 and it is a 94 kx125 runs and looks nice but bikes just arent worth much after the first 3 years.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I would love to start my cousin on a KDX and have looked into it, but he is worried about the height, and not getting seriously hurt is very important to him. I have looked into lowering links and other stuff, but a bike hasn't come along yet. I started on a KDX and Jeff Fredette is a relative of ours, so parts and stuff wouldn't be a problem, but finding a decent good priced bike is the problem. The tt 225 was offered to me and it is a very good dependable bike from what I have seen. The xr is another option, but I would like to stay away from honda because there isn't a good reliable honda dealer close to me. I am still considering it. Thanks again

Ben

soulsurfer21

Oct 28, 2006
I still own one...

I still own a 1987 225TT it was my ex's bike, I didn't have too many problems with it. But if you want a bike to ride an not just putt around the trails on then it's perfect. Or for that friend or realitive that wants to go riding with you so bad but doesn't really know how to ride. Let them mount that baby and follow your dust trail, it's never broke down when on long rides.

But like everyone says don't try to jump it, I've taken it out on some fun little jumps and it was so much work just trying to keep it upright, with no suspension and weight of the bike it's like jumping an old honda sl 100.

Anyone want to buy one? lol :nener:

Top Bottom