skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
I just picked up a 88 CR250 and its having a few problems. It won't kick start when the bike is cold, I have to pull it behind the truck and then it will run OK. It will kick off when its warmed up but it leaks fuel from the carb I think and drips from the bottom of the bike. It also will not idle on its own, it will just die. The motor was rebuilt by my friend a year or two ago and I think the carb needs to be rebuilt. Anyone know where to get a rebuild kit for the carb? Thanks for any help guys!

Tom

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
ya need to do a compression test to start with and go thru the carb and make sure its clean and the floats are set right and needle/seat are in good shape. pilot jet the right size ? too small ? float height right ? (to little gas) air screw set correctly ?

Last edited:

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
I'm sure its not TOO LITTLE gas man, its drooling from the bottom of the bike. This is my first time working on a 2 stroke anything so bear with me, lol.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
It's dripping because the float isn't floating or the needle and seat isn't sealing. Put your float in a bowl of gas over night and see if it's still floating in the morning. If so replace your needle, that bike has a rubber tip on the needle that gets hard and wont shut off the fuel flow, it's 20 years old.

Get your parts from the Honda dealer. They of course won't have what you need but they can order it.

Try Service Honda's mail order system, it's cheap and just as fast as your dealer.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
I took out the spark plug and put in a new one today and it kicked right off, first try. The old one is fouled out pretty bad. My friend said he was running 42:1 mix in it, I have heard to run 32:1 mixture for the gas. What should I be running?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
If your lazy, not a bad thing...

32:1 is one pint to 4 gallons and you have room left over in your 5 gallon jug to shake it. That breaks down to 4oz per gallon if you just mix what you need as you go riding, fresh gas is a good thing!

40:1 is good too but you will need to measure it.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Thanks again for the info. I've been searching this topic of fouling out plugs and some of the stuff I see worries the crap out of me, lol. I'm gonna do a compression test on it this weekend I guess, but I hope everything is cool since the motor was recently rebuilt.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Dropped my carb off at the cycle shop today, should be done tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how the bike is running tomorrow night.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Got the carb back on it. Damnit she runs like a top. I need to adjust the carb some and put a new plug in it again, but there is a DEFINITE improvement.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Well its running pretty good now, but I broke my kick start lever today, haha. Will newer year kick levers work on the 88?

Top Bottom