ChrisUpchurch

Jul 14, 2010
Hey guys, just got a 1988 KDX 200 for FREE and wandered on your site. :laugh: Guy I got it from said it needed rings so I got it home and started tearing it down. Looks like it is going to need a new cylinder as it is scored pretty good. :bang: These things seem hard to come by. I found a 86 cylinder on ebay with the piston for $250. Not a bad price since I got the bike for nothing. But, will the 86 cylinder fit the 88? Also, is this my best option? I would rebore it like I did my Yamaha IT 465 but these cylinders are plated and that seems like it will cost big money. Thank you for any help you can give.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
It will "fit"....but the porting is different to go with a different carb and maybe ignition curve and pipe (on both the 86 and the 87). You could always have the cylinder recoated. I did that to my 86, and the new cylinder wall is holding up way better than the stock one did.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah, you might find a used cylinder on ebay at some point in time, but being an 88, it will likely need to be refinished anyway. Send it off to be re-plated!

David_L6

Jun 27, 2009
glad2ride said:
Millenium Technologies can repair and replate it, as well as provide a Wiseco piston.

That's who I would use. I had them replate a cylinder this past fall and would use them again tomorrow if I had another cylinder that needed replating.

Top Bottom