1989 - 94 KDX200 Pipe Modifications

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have been looking into buying a new exhaust (pipe)…possibly the FMF fatty pipe. However I have thought of trying Canadian Dave's recommendation of pipe modification. What happens to the back pressure when the silencing material is removed? Why not remove the packing material in the spark Arrester then?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Its not a matter of improving back pressure in the pipe but rather removing the material to change the volume of the pipe plus the baffling material stifles the positive and negative pressure waves/ ultrasonic waves in the pipe throwing the cylinder scavenging all out of whack. Kawasaki originally designed a very good pipe for the bike then installed the baffling material and through it all out of wack. If you want to lean more about how the pipe effects power on a two-cycle motor have a look at the KIPS valve article. There are a couple links the pipe articles that will help you better understand that's going on you your pipe.

The silencer will supply the backpressure.

David

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I hate to cut my stock pipe in half and remove the packing material, but it sounds like it is a win win situation. Anyway, I have a friend who has a tig welder and is a professional welder. How involved is the procedure? I have read your article on pipe modification.
I thanks you very much for your valued response! Mark

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Mark its a very simple job. As soon as you cut into the pipe it will be obvious what you need to do. The first time out I can't imagine it would take you more than a couple hours. Don't hesitate to chop the stock pipe the results are very noticable and very worth while.

If you have a camera around when you remove the lining could you take of picture of what's inside. I'll add it to the article. Thanx

David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…