1989 KDX 200 rear shock too soft?

jlapolla

Feb 10, 2005
I just purchased a well used 1989 KDX 200. The rear shock is way too soft, so I am looking for help trying to locate one used or aftermarket. New ones cost more than the bike did? Any other info about rear shocks or this bike would be greatly appreciated.
Does anyone know what years and/or sizes will interchange?

Thank you for any help!

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Changing the shock oil and charging the shock with nitrogen will make a huge difference and does not cost as much as a shock. I would try this first.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Find Jeff Fredettes web site - excellent source of info on this topic. Under KDXposed, suspension info he indicates what shock spring rates for what weight of rider. You bike would have a 4.6 Kg spring if it is stock, if I recall correctly - and if you are a heavier rider, likely the spring rate is off. A new spring, depending on brand will cost from $85 (Eibach) to $110 (Race Tech). Newer KDX's (95 to current) are known to be somewhat softly sprung as well, yet actually have a heavier rate (5.0 Kg) due to swing arm leverage increase.

You can find used stock springs from a 95 to 04 fairly readily (do a post here on DRN classifieds). 95 to 04 springs will fit your bike. My son has a 99 KDX, but as he is light, needed a lighter weight spring. I found one from my add on DRN. I would offer to trade you my 5.0 for your 4.6, but I already found a 4.6 and I have decided to keep the 5.0 as the boy is only gonna get bigger!

If you simply go out and buy a new(er) stock shock and spring, you wont address the spring rate issue - but you can indeed find used shocks as well online.

So - do as cwweingartz suggested, then get a heavier spring under that scooter and ride on!.

jlapolla

Feb 10, 2005
jlapolla said:
I just purchased a well used 1989 KDX 200. The rear shock is way too soft, so I am looking for help trying to locate one used or aftermarket. New ones cost more than the bike did? Any other info about rear shocks or this bike would be greatly appreciated.
Does anyone know what years and/or sizes will interchange?

Thank you for any help!

Thank you for your help on this! I'll check into the recharging of the shock. Hopefully that will help. I'll also check out Jeff's website. Glad I found this site! Great people!!!

Top Bottom