ChiMo

Jan 7, 2003
Hi, I've been lurking around the boards for some time now just absorbing info about the KDX. Which brings me to my question. My friend has a 1989 KDX that has a siezed cylinder. He has the new piston and most of the other parts on the bike have been replaced. He said he would sell me the bike for $180. My question is, is that a good deal, and what kind of cost am i looking at to have the cylinder bored/resleeved? I have no problem doing the wrench work to install the piston but was just looking for an estimate for the cost for the cylinder since I am in college and quite poor. Thanks

Brett

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
$180?? Scoop it up!!

You can get cylinders cheap on ebay or at your local salvage yard. My guess is that it will cost you about $250 max to get a "new" cylinder. It would probably cost more to get the old one re-lined. Good luck!

ChiMo

Jan 7, 2003
Thanks for the reply NY. Do you think it would be worth it so send it off to frp and just have him port and replate the cylinder instead of trying to find a new one?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by ChiMo
Thanks for the reply NY. Do you think it would be worth it so send it off to frp and just have him port and replate the cylinder instead of trying to find a new one?

It's tough to say, but that kind of work can get pricey.  I'd call FRP and see what Jeff thinks; ask him if he has any used cylinders to sell.  Maybe you can  exchange your 'core' plus a few $$ for a gently used one.

If you are searching junkyards or the internet for a cylinder, any '89 thru '94 KDX should interchange. 

The '89 is a fine machine and at that price you can't go wrong even if the bike has a few other minor problems. 

ChiMo

Jan 7, 2003
Yeah, I'm pretty sure its the piston. He had the top-end taken apart and the piston is siezed in the cylinder and has tore it up. He has a one size up wiseco piston that I would be getting with the deal.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Scoop it up.  It's worth it for that kind of money.  You should be able piece something together even if you have to get another cylinder.  Especially if you are able to do most of the work yourself.

Good luck. 

(I'm getting ready to overhaul the '90 model that is in my garage.)

Last edited:

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Thats a deal man buy it even if the bottom is tore up. I paid $350 for my 93 and I had to rebuild the whole thing. Even if you have to fix the whole thing then you will have a new engine.

Dogz

Aug 30, 2003
It really depends on how serious you are about the bike.
I don't want to pee on any parades, but pushing a bike outta the bush
sucks!
Can you do the work youself?
If it were me I'd rebuild the crank, it is 14 years old!
Full gasket set, who know what you'll find in the tranny.
Clutch, chain, sprockets, forkseals, cables, brake pads, disks.
Rear shock rebuild, seat cover (duct tape glue on riding gear sucks!)
foot pegs, shifter, levers, brake pedal, grips, bars it the existing
ones are bent. Tires, spokes, rims, wheel bearings, rubber carb manifold, reeds. New air filter
Fork springs of the correct rate and valving helps the front end a ton.
But all stock KDX font ends blow.
All of this is a worst case possibility, but I bet that some of it will
need attention.
Go over the whole bike and check the condition of everything from the
tires to the tail light. All those little bits can add up to a
surprising total in a short time.
Add it all up and compare your total costs against a newer used
bike of the same value and make a decision.
Sorry for the long post, I'm currently rebuilding an 81 RD350lc I got for free that is turning into a cash cow. I could have bought a much
better RD for what I currently have invested in this project,
but its too late to stop now

bh

Nov 26, 2001
The thing to look at is even if you spend as much as you would on a newer bike look at what you have- basically a new bike. If you pay more for a newer one you are gonna have to do everything to it if you keep it long enough.

drriviera

Mar 13, 2003
ChiMo,

Go for it! Even though it may take a while, with you being a college student and short of cash. What sorta timeframe are you looking at to work on this bike? Are you wanting to get it back in the dirt asap, or are ya willing to tough it out for weeks or months as you slowly build up the bike to usable condition?

I bought myself an 84 model kdx200 for $400 australian at the end of august. Nearly four months and $1000 later, it's 90% there. It's pretty much a whole new bike! Trying to source a speedo and cable, and seat. I've learnt heaps from this project, I do not regret undertaking this project for one moment. Can't wait to tear up a lil dirt this australian summer/xmas holiday period!

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~rcacic/kdx200 (new pics/text up soon)...

Excuse the pun, but... Seize the opportunity! Seize the day! Grab it! And good luck, let us know how you go... :-)

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Let me say this....... I would love to find a 1989 KDX with a blown motor for $180.00. Not because it may be a deal but it would be a great project, hobby or therapy, call it what you may. I personally enjoy working on bikes and bringing them back to life. If you don't enjoy working on bikes then maybe it's not such a good idea. If you have the time (this is key) and enjoy working on bikes, go, buy the bike and do not, I repeat, do not keep a tally on how much you are spending to rebuild it. This is a hobby, not a money maker! keeping a tally only takes away the enjoyment. Also, if you do buy it, take a before and after picture. Maybe this sounds weird but you will be glad you did.

Good luck.

ChiMo

Jan 7, 2003
Thanks for all the tips. I love working on anything mechanical and I am willing to wait a while to get this bike going. I've got another bike that i just rebuilt so I won't be going through any dirt withdrawls. I figured even if it needs more engine work than just the cylinder it's still a better deal then a new bike cause I dont have $4000 and it would take me much longer to save that than it would for me to piece this bike together.

Top Bottom