1989 KIPS problems found...questions...

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I discovered last fall that the powervalve was not completely opening on my '89 KX250. I removed the valve cover and could see that as I cracked the throttle, the rod would not pull out of the cylinder but maybe 1 out of every 10 times.

Last night I yanked the jug and found the problem. The exhaust valve (in the middle) was binding the system up because when fully lowered, the nub was falling out of the slot on the sub port valve. The nub was worn and there was an actual break in the ramp (of the sub port valve) that the nub slides in.

Both KIPS valves and the middle exhaust valve could use replacing and Ron Ayers quoted the parts at $43.00 for each sub port valve and $67 for the exhaust valve.

So for my questions...............First, does anyone know of a Kawi dealer that can beat those prices? The exhaust valve is two piece and the $67 is just for the innermost piece!?!?!! Would be nice if someone was a little cheaper.

Second. Will someone correct me if my understanding of the KIPS system is wrong? It looks like at idle the subports should be completely closed and the exhaust valve should be in the lowest position. Then around 6000rpm or so, the armature yanks the rod out from the cylinder causing the subports to go full open and the exhaust valve to raise up.

Just wondering because when i looked at the system it appeared that it could have gone from open to closed to open throughout the range from idle to WOT.

Micah

Top Bottom