1989 KTM 250 can run backwards?

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
It does.. I guess theoretically it should be able to if the timing is close enough to TDC....but with the timing set to what appears to be stock..how is this possible. Am I missing something obvious? If my kid doesn't follow through on the kick start stroke...half the time it fires the motor back wards. This is a new one on me.:silly:

Whats the deal?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
As you know, about the only time they will run backwards is when the timing is off.
You said it "appears" to be OK. Have you checked it using a dial indicator through the spark plug hole? Maybe the woodruff key in the flywheel has started to shear off. If so, the timing would appear ok but in reality be way off.

Good luck.

lips

Apr 6, 2001
I had a 1988 KTM that did the same thing. It would only happen at the top of steep hill cliimbs when the motor bogged down/almost died; then it would sort of "backfire" and run backwards.

Call your local KTM dealer and get some advice. The timing needs to be changed. I can not remember if I retarded or advanced mine.

D.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
LOL that had to be interesting! So how fast could you ride backwards down the hill? Ours is doing similar things. Including that little backfire.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
My buddies '85 KTM125 did the same thing on 3 separate occaisons. Once when a friend of ours was riding it. He started it up and got ready to take off w/some other guys. When he dumped the clutch, he was bent over the handle bars and roosting forwards. He got it to do it again right after that. Everyone at the camp had a good laugh at that one. Then it did it again when he sold it to a local KTM dealer.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
You timing is too far advanced. Retart you timing a bit, only make very small changes at a time. A manual would be handy. If I recall correctly you have to turn the Motoplat stator anti-clockwise.

Remove the flywheel
Loosen the 3 screws holding the Motoplat stator in place so you are able to move the stator around by hand, not too loose though.
Ensure piston is in the 1.2mm BTDC position.
The flywheel has little hole on the side that lines up with a hole in the stator. Find a object/rod with the same thickness as the hole so it does not wiggle around.
Mount the flywheel again without bolting it on.
Insert the rod/object into the hole on the flywheel and line it up with the hole in the stator.

[Whith the piston at 1.2mm BTDC and the holes lined up you timing will be 100%.

Fasten the stator screws with the stator in its new position, be carefull not to move it again. Mount flywheel and tighten nut to with torque wrench to spec.

You must ensure though that the piston is 1.2mm BTDC, use a dial guage to determine TDC, subtract 1.2mm and recalibrate dialgauge to give you a correct value for BTDC and then work on that.

Oh, one more thing, the FLYWHEEL NUT HAS A LEFT HAND THREAD so it loosens & fastens in the opposite direction !!!

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
It does and thankyou very much Reon. I will try exactly that. :)

Top Bottom