1989 KX 80: Better low end power

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Can anyone give me suggestions on increaseing the low end power of this bike. It runs very weak in the lower rpm's but when it is on the pipe it explodes(but kind of hard to get it their). I have an FMF fatty pipe and silencer, and rejetted to 122 jet. I run 36:1 fuel/oil mixture. What else can I try?
Help me please!

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
1. Proper compression
2. Proper jetting
3. Are the reeds in good shape?
4. Lower gearing (smaller front sprocket, larger rear)always boosts low end.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I just replaced the reeds. The old ones had a slight gap in both reeds. Does the gap in the reeds effect the running of the bike (i.e. rich and bogging out) that much?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by Midhigh
I just replaced the reeds. The old ones had a slight gap in both reeds. Does the gap in the reeds effect the running of the bike (i.e. rich and bogging out) that much?

YES.
If you check everything and still don't like the bottom end you could send your cylinder off for bottom end porting from Eric Gorr. Look to the left of the screen and you'll find his flaming piston add. He works wonders.
If I remember correctly the 89 is pre power valve? All topend is pretty much how that bike works!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…