Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'm looking for feedback on a van I'm going to look at tonight. The van is a 1990 Ford E-150 Extended Super Cargo Van. I'm trying to find the towing capacity for this van online but haven't had any luck so far. The ad states a V8 but at this point I don't know if it's a 4.6 or 5.4 (If those were the options in 90). The van has 233,000 Kms on it and is supposed to have a relatively new front end and re arc'ed springs. The owner has bolted in a bench seat so that there is seating for 4 and also set it up for MX with a partition wall. He states he can carry 3 full size bikes with ease in the back. I am actually not all that concerned about hauling the bikes in the back but more with getting a cheap vehicle capable of pulling a 6X10 enclosed trailer (it's killing the tranny in my 3L Dodge Caravan) and offering shelter for those camping days in the pits where it's just too darn cold for tenting.

Any feedback or area's of concern to be aware of would be appreciated.

rsrxc700

Jul 5, 2000
I would think it would do it..... the towing specs will be printed in the door jam. You would probably be happier with a 3/4 or a 1 ton though. I haul a 6 x 10 with a 1/2 Ford PU. It does the job pretty well, but I wish I had a heavier truck.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Chili.

I have a '89 Ford van with the 351 cu in. engine and a C-6 transmission. It tows very well. It is a E150 with a upgraded suspension. My old van,'69 E100 came with 302 / 5.0 L engine and didn't have enough HP to get out of it's own way. I changed it to a 351 with a C-6 and it made a major difference in both pulling power and mileage. I sold the '69 van with over 300,000 miles on it and the guy I sold it to is still using it today to haul vintage cars.

Aside from towing dirtbikes I also use it to haul horses and equipment. It hauls my 4,400 Lb. Bobcat plus trailer with little effort.

I highly recommend the C-6 tranny. The electronic transmissions are not very towing freindly and are VERY expensive to repair.

Just my $ .02

Last edited:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Well I looked at it and it sure wasn't much to look at but that's not the purpose of it. It has the 302 (5.0L) and I'm not sure what tranny is in it Ol'89r. I think I may pass on this one since it is really starting to rust bad.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Chili
It has the 302 (5.0L) and I'm not sure what tranny is in it Ol'89r. [/B]

Chili.

The C-6 is a three speed tranny and the electronic trans has an overdrive. If it shows a position for an overdrive on the shifter, it's the electronic.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Chili check this link for an easy way to determine transmissions based upon pan shape. CLICK
I think the C6 was phased out in the 1/2 tons after '89 so if it's a '90 model there's a good chance of it being a lighter duty transmission especially since it's hooked to a 302.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for the replies guys, It was definately an Overdrive tranny so odds are good it was the electronic lighter duty one. I've pretty much ruled this one out and my search for the perfect support vehicle for the poor continues :)

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Sounds like you've already decided to pass on that van, but just for reference I don't think Ford ever put the C-6 behind a 302. Typically the C-4 went in those applications.

Would agree with Ol'89r, they are (were?) amazingly stout transmissions.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Was trolling old threads at work tonight and realized I never really put a finish to this thread. Thanks to all who took the time to reply. After starting a search for an old van to use for the races this is what I ended up with :laugh:

Attachments

• rv.jpg
    rv.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom