basten

Nov 27, 2003
i have recently re wired my 1990 kdx 125 after studying the manuel for days and working out how to make it just run off the kick start all the lights and indercators and ignition has been removed and it has been rewired just using the ic igniter and magneto but i am only geting a week spark and it isnt enough to fire her up i have changed the spark plug and it was still week
please help.
chris essex'england

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
check your grounds and in fact scrape so new metal is exposed. Do you still have the CDI attached since you say the ignition is off now?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
You have to have the magneto, which is attached to the stator plate. The CDI which is just a plastic box with a lot of wires coming out of it, and the coil which has the spark plug wire attached to it. The kawi microfishe does refer to the CDI as the igniter.

basten

Nov 27, 2003
yes i do have all that wired up but what is happening is it is sparking but not on every kick .e.g. 1 every 5 times

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
have you tested the resistance on your magneto and ignition coil(prime and secondary). If those are not in range they can be failing now. Usually once the cdi goes it is just gone, no spark.

basten

Nov 27, 2003
no i havent had them checked yet.do you need special testers or is there any
way i could test them.if not what tipe of tester will ineed
thanks for replying you have been realy helpfull
chris essex england.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
go to radio shack if one is near by and by a tester from them. They sell them with DC AC and ohms/resistance. Your manual should talk about how to test and what range the reading should fall into. If you don't have a RS try a Halfords or some other auto repair shop. You should not be paying much for a tester, 30-40 quid for a good one probably.
When you test the CDI the manual says to use a kawi specific tester. Nobody seems to have one so we accept that the ranges are not quite accurate. I had a short in mine so where I was to infinity I had 0. So it was obvious I had a problem with my CDI.

dougle09

Mar 31, 2013
hi im alan i have my kdx 125 wired up the same by just useing the stator cdi and coil but theres no earths or anything to attach onto the frame or do i not need one as im getting a weak spark every couple of kicks ive got no battery or lights or kill switch on either

Top Bottom