1990 KDX200 water in oil - Milky white

sbeauchamp

Aug 14, 2010
Hi, I've checked the threads but unable to find a definitive answer to "what to do when you find water in gear oil?" - especially for an older KDX (1990)

I'm loosing radiator fluid at the same time, so I know where the source of the water is, but wondering what parts I need and how to order them for my bike. It is just a pump seal, or bearings or shaft or all the above? Since bike is 21 years old, would this be a good time to just replace all pump items now? Any suggestions for 1990 KDX parts online?

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
sbeauchamp said:
Any suggestions for 1990 KDX parts online?

Thing that I run into when ordering parts is the shipping charges! I order a $20 part and get hit with another $20 for shipping! :yell:

I'm finding that company's such as Chaparral Motosports that deal in OEM parts have a better deal on the shipping! Don't forget about your local dealership... if you have a good one!!!

:nod:

sbeauchamp

Aug 14, 2010
thanks, Chaparral is my local dealer - at least the closest to me. It's hard to get out of there without spending at least an hour and a lot more than what you planned on spending!

Why the head gasket? Thought I read on other threads that my problem seems to be narrowed down to just pump seal. Would I be also losing power if the head gasket was also bad? It does seem to lack a bit of power since i noticed the milky oil.

EYY

May 22, 2010
I would replace the seal, bearing and shaft while your in there.

In a four stroke the head gaskets are able to allow water into the oil when a head gasket blows since the oil runs throughout the whole engine. Whereas in a 2 stroke the oil only comes in contact with transmission parts and is isolated from the crank area and combustion chamber, so that rules out the head gasket.

IMHO OEM seals are the way to go.

I bought the parts mentioned above the other day, i just need to find time to install them.. I should've done that the other week when i had the case off!

The water in the oil shouldn't make a difference in the way the bike rides. If you think it's lacking power, i would look for a number of things.

First, start with a clean air filter and fresh muffler packing.

Second, do a compression check. Have you ever rebuilt the top end?

Third, inspect the powervalves. The 89-94 model kdx's had problems with subvalves snapping frequently, so this might be of stong suspect.
If you decide to check this;
-remove the expansion chamber.
-remove the cover for the powervalve actuator arm on the right hand side of the cylinder
-look up into the exhaust port and pull the powervalve actuator shaft outwards and you should see the main valve(middle) and the sub valves turning and opening(left and right hand sides)

If none of these solve your problem, I would suspect a leaking crank seal.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
EYY said:
I had the same problem. Replaced the parts listed above and all has been good ever since. :cool:

sbeauchamp

Aug 14, 2010
Thanks guys, big help. The top end was done when I bought the bike in '98 - has not been done since. Pretty sure a higher compression piston was put in (weisco?) because i was told to run higher octane fuel when i bought. Probably less than 50 hours on the bike since I bought it 12 years ago.

Power is pretty good overall, still runs like a beast! However, I have noticed that it does not have the power that it once did. I just put in a new filter, and repacked the FMF spark arrestor. Far as I can tell, jetting seems to be good all around, but just a small drop in power where I use to notice it either in climbing or in 3rd gear just riding the trails. Now, I might have to shift to 2nd, where 3rd would do fine before.

I have not done a compression test, and usually run either a mix of 108/91 octane, or sometimes 100 octane if I can find it. Premix is approx. 32/1.

thanks for your help. I just had the forks and rear end rebuild by Race Tech using gold valves, so I plan on keeping this bike for a long time! With the new suspension, I ride confident with my buddys on new 450's! They try to keep up with me!
-Scott

sbeauchamp

Aug 14, 2010
yes, reeds looked good about 10 hours ago, but maybe not now - will check. Have also replaced spark plug... it was a nice brown color, seems to be the correct heat range. Have never looked at or worked on the KIPS before, so will look into it. Will also do a compression check... anything else i should check?

Like I said... runs good, just missing a little power where i noticed before.

Thanks for all the help!

sbeauchamp

Aug 14, 2010
EYY said:

EYY... if you are still checking these threads, can you tell me the part numbers for these items and where you ordered them?

Thanks!

EYY

May 22, 2010
I don't know the part numbers sorry mate, I just went to the local Kawasaki dealer and told them what I was after. I just felt that those parts were that cheap OEM it wasn't even worth ordering them elsewhere.

Good luck with the bike!

Top Bottom