1990 rm 250 a couple problems? need help!

motofreak2007

Jun 28, 2007
ok to start off i just got an rm 250 and its in moderate condition. i used to have a 2003 yz 85 so i learned a little bit how to work on it from that. but this bike is older and i dont have the repair manual yet. first off the exhaust is pro circuit and i dont think its 100% machine spec. it is very loud when it warms up much louder than it should be. also smoke is heavy and comes out the exhaust manifold. my friend says i am missing something but we dont exactly know what. i can move the pipe around and it doesn't really look like it is being held on at the manifold, like i think i should be. TO the next problem my rear back brake is either leaking brake fluid or letting in air. i bled it thoroughly filled the fluid and capped off the resovoir and tightened down the bleeder. so than i was just pushing down the brake with my hand and i heard air being sucked in and i saw brake fluid leaking.. my friend said it was the line that it wasn't tightened down. but i checked it and it was very tight. so i listen more closely and it sounds like its coming from the resovoir but im not sure. so any help on that would be good. and one last thing the crank case cover has a crack in it and i think its causing it to leak transmission oil. other than me having to fill it with transmission fluid all the time is there any problems it will cause, if i don't get a new one right away? so any help you could give on any one of these matters would be greatly appreciated!!

Mavrick70004

Oct 17, 2006
check the packing it gets loud when it is time to change it, my pipe is held on to the engine with two springs make sure you have those and they are in good condition if there also should be some sort of gasktet that goes in the pipe to seal it to the head if any of those are missing or worn out that would casue some exhaust to leak out and make it loose, Resivor caps usually have a rubber gasket make sure its there and is in good condition. which cover is cracked the side where the kick start is or where the shifter is?

96 YZ 125

Jan 10, 2007
for the exhaust problem i agree with maverik about the loud part, it probably just needs to be repacked. the packing only costs 8 or 9 dollars. check your head pipe to see if it still has the o rings around it the part that slides into the motor. if not that could be what is causing your pipe to seem like it doesnt fit. and depending on wat year and wat side of the bike the crack is on, it can be a very easy fix. i myself changed the righthand crank case cover, it only takes about an hour or two but i costs around 100 dollars

well thats just my 0.02 cents, anything else i am sure that there are a lot of people willing to help on here everyone is very helpful.

motofreak2007

Jun 28, 2007
ok the loud part might be from the packing but i think it might be from the head i think it is just that i am missing a gasket or an o-ring i gotta take it off and check it out. also the brakes turned out to be a slice in the brake line so i ordered a new one ($50!! :bang: ). but the brake lever is missing the spring which umm puts tension on the brake or something. and i need two new fut pegs i lost the spring and the bolt today when i took it out it was funny the peg just fell off and i was lucky to find it. does anyone know a good site for suzuki parts preferably old bikes or something. also any help on finding the jet and idle would be good b/c when the bike starts it runs terribly high and i dont even have to give it gas and the bike goes about 5-10mph. or a site that has parts diagrams or something. i really gotta find a service manual and order it or buy it cause it would really help. also the bike is running to rich or lean idk which one but the plug in the middle it is black and there was oil and all over the plug. also the bike is a pain in the rear to start soo soo bad :bang: any help on the would be great even though i think its the plug. so im gonna get a new one soon. also its been a while since i got a bike what is the ratio of oil to gas for 40:1. ok thanks. kevin

Top Bottom