Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
hey everyone as mentioned in my last post i am replacing the main crank seals.

now i know it was the crank seals as my right hand crank seal has been popped out lol. but i have a slight problem.

the seal that is in there has the flat side towards the bearing and the open side facing outward. i am unsure wether that is the right way the seal is supposed to be in there. my manual tells me how to replace crank seals but does not say what way the seals go in.

i cannot see clearly enough in the pictures to make my decision what way to put it in.

can anyone please help.

thanks in advance

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Usually the flat side goes away from the crank, but? Suzuki has an uncanny ability to have the seal on the inside and the poor main bearing slopping in the nasty tranny fluid. Flat goes to the outside still. I thought those were double lipped? Check an online parts micro fiche, bike bandit or what ever? Hope they are not cheap seals. Vintage Bob

flattie

May 19, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Usually the flat side goes away from the crank, but? Suzuki has an uncanny ability to have the seal on the inside and the poor main bearing slopping in the nasty tranny fluid. Flat goes to the outside still. I thought those were double lipped? Check an online parts micro fiche, bike bandit or what ever? Hope they are not cheap seals. Vintage Bob

False

If this were true you would have to split the cases and pull the right main bearing to access the seal. The seal connot possibly be on the inside of the bearing.

The seal is pressed into the case "flat side out" from the outside.

Make sure the seal is flush with the lip of the case.

Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
i checked the manual and after careful studying and searching it shows a diagram of a seal with the lip part has to go to the side with oil and im guessing that the seal is supposed to be in with the flat side towards the crank.

but after inspecting the bike it has blew the main crank bearings aswell so im gonna have to rebuild the whole bottom end.

flattie

May 19, 2005
Every crank seal i have ever replaced has had the "flat" side out (away from crank). Even the parts fische diagram shows it that way.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
78 was the last rm250 with the seal on the inside flattie. And all f's are that way also. Splitting the cases is the proper way to change seals. Not the end of the world. But the collar on the right side, and the taper on the left, make the job doable. I know before you say it flattie, he has done it this way a thousand times. Take your time on the install Scotty. The online parts micro fiches varify that the seal is flat outside, they are probably all that way? Vintage Bob

Top Bottom