russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
hello i just bought a 1990 rm 250,i was wondering wat i could do to the bike for a minimal price and get a noticeable increase in performance,the bike already has a ton of power and always wants to pop up but it dosnt hurt to have a little more power lol thanks

d_alexand

May 14, 2007
rm250

I think the stock wheels are excels. Most modern bikes use excels(takasago). As far as performance I'd just freshin up the topend, spend that money on your suspension, or buy better riding gear if you don't already have a really good helmet, boots, chest protector, neck brace, etc.

I've read plenty of articles about cheap helmets breaking and lots of mx related injuries, so I've been staying away from all of the unneccessary bling and just upgrading my riding gear lately.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
ive already got all my gear,and the top end is fresh,the bike its self dosnt really need anything thats why i was thinking about some aftermarket stuff :ride:

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
what exactly will reeds do for me?
and no i probably won't be seein any track time lol,the suspension is in wicked shape for the age i think there may have been more work done than i kno about,the kid i bought it from didnt seem to kno anything about it he just said he got his buddy to do everything lol

Aug 25, 2008
reeds, will increase rpms and horsepower, faster acceleration and improved response,
just the reed petals will cost anywhere from $30-60 depends on the type you want really good or soemthing else , like boysen reeds ,v force reeds

Franx

Jan 9, 2008
My 90 didn't have Excel rims on it(at least they didn't say it) . Get it jetted in and set up the power valve and it should rip.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
ok so imanaged to get my hands on a used gold series pipe for the low low price of $0.00,what kind of reeds would be most suitable,and whats the biggest you can bore a 250 out?im kinda looking to make this thing an old school freak show over the winter.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
1990 rm250 sprockets/chain

i was just wondering what a good quality 48 tooth rear sprocket would be that wont cost me a fortune,i ride in pretty much everything so it should be pretty durable,also what kind of chain would be best?

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
russdaddy said:
hello i just bought a 1990 rm 250,i was wondering wat i could do to the bike for a minimal price and get a noticeable increase in performance,the bike already has a ton of power and always wants to pop up but it dosnt hurt to have a little more power lol thanks

FMF Gold Series Pipe is the most easy mod that you can make to this model bike to make it come alive. It will rip with that pipe. Next I would go with FMF Ram Valve (Reed Valve) or a Boyesen Rad Valve (Reed Valve). The Boyesen System offers more Bottom End Power.
The 1990 RM250 get some Head Shake at Top Speeds on Fast Flat Tracks, and RG3 (when they were at FMF) did a great job on the Suspension on this Model, so did Moose Racing with is now Aloop.
With those Mods and A Fresh Chain, Spockets and a Good Handle Bar, you are ready to ride that thing forever. I would race one of those bikes with those Mods today against newer Machines with no problems.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
russdaddy said:
i was just wondering what a good quality 48 tooth rear sprocket would be that wont cost me a fortune,i ride in pretty much everything so it should be pretty durable,also what kind of chain would be best?

Get a Sidewinder Sprocket from Krause Racing. They are great sprockets and they last forever.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
As it's been said, reeds, pipe,and good suspension make all the difference. I've ridden a few stock RM's, and my RM definitely out-rips them. The only mods my RM have are, an FMF gnarly, Wiseco race piston, and Enzo Suspension. It makes all the difference. Of course, a solid set of bars is a good thing to have... I find my pro-taper contour bars to be virtually indestructible. A good o-ring chain, if lubed regularly seems to hold up well. X-rings are even better, but a little pricey. I've seen too many regular stock chains break for no good reason. I wouldn't go there.

Where in BC are you from?

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
ya as i said before ive got a gold series pipe im gonna be putting on soon,i'm not exactly sure what the bike has done to it,I bought it from a guy last summer and he didnt really seem to have a clue about it he just got his buddies to work on it lol.since ive had it though i havent had any issues with it other than the fact that im a littlle to short to kick over haha,it has a ton of power which leads me to believe that somethings been done it.

And im in cloverdale down in the lower mainland,how bout yourself?

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
o ya i forgot to say its also got a set of brand new Pro Taper bars on it,i'll try and take some pictures of it once i get it all cleaned up and back together.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
Oh ya i forgot to say its also got a set of brand new Pro Taper bars on it,i'll try and take some pictures of it once i get it all cleaned up and back together.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
theres only so much you can do
i piped jetted ,and reeds on mine,try a smaller front sprocket for a total different bike
i went 2 teeth smaller its really sweet but slower on top end
renthal sprockets ,and chain i believe are the best , but i have a jt sproket ,and primary drive chain, and there really good, dennis kirk for those

porting would really help
also yea you can have it bored , but it would need re coated,or you can get the sleeve kit
i wish i would have went with a 300 kit, since i dont race it motocross, there are classes if you race

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I live in the Okanagan..... a little too far away to get together for a ride, unless you come down for the weekend. Goregous riding around here. You are short too? I am 5'6''... I can start my bike ok, as long as I am not on a sidehill :think:

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
lol well im taller than you but not much im about 5'10,i dunno why it is its just a tall stiff bike it dosnt really come down much when i climb on it and im about 170-180 lbs.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Check your manual about adjusting the power valve spring tension. A cap on the left side of the cylinder. It moves the point that the pwerband hits. A 48 seems small for a 250, taking away from the bottom, and putting it on top.

flyinzuki

Jan 27, 2001
Here's my 1990 RM250

showimage.php

What I've found that works: Dyno Port pipe, Carbon Tech low tension reeds, cylinder cut on base to set squish to 1mm.
These settings required leaner jetting and Avgas.
This motor pulls like a 500, no lie.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
Damn son thats a sick lookin '90,may i ask where abouts you got your graphics kit from?

And I looked today and the bike has got a 12 tooth front and a 49 tooth rear on it,it's got balls down low,soo much balls i dont particularily like taking it in the woods do to the snappyness of the power.

flyinzuki

Jan 27, 2001
My graphics are from Ceet, I think they are called "Echo".
I don't think you will find any of those anymore.
Try searching for Ceet Apex, I think those were the latest ones I've seen.
Parts Unlimited part numbers from an '05 catalog:
ZDS077 Decals
RM940 Seat

I run 13/49 gearing and always ride a gear high.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom