s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
i just bought my 1st kdx last week and have never ridden one until now(Its in great condition --I couldnt pass it up). I havent taken it out yet ,but im wondering how itll do. I'm 5'11-155lbs. I ride on some mountain trails and im confident itll be good up there , but how 'bout the sand? Anyone w/ experience?

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
Any opinion would be appreciated even if you havent had 1st hand experience. Does it have enough power?Is it too heavy?Too green?
Please throw in your 2 cents

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Two strokes are great in the sand/dunes. However, that type of riding is EXTREMELY hard on a bike! It requires tons of power, high RPM's, and all of this results in elevated operating temps and increased wear. Not to mention what sand does to bearings and other high-friction areas. An older bike would be a gamble, especially not knowing 100% the quality of the maintenance performed on the bike. I say, strip the bike down and determine what kind of condition it is in (bearings, compression, clutch condition) and perform all normal maintenance beforehand (oil, filter, lubricate bearings). Then, enjoy the bike. Don't go out there and abuse/thrash the bike on the first ride. 'Test the waters' so they say. If it holds up well after a couple of trips turn it up a notch or two, but just be conscious of the fact that it is an older bike!
Congrats!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
KDX250s were jetted very rich from the factory, which will help protect the engine from overheating and damage under the heavy loads and heat you will generate in the dunes.

With some fine tuning to the motor and suspension, it can be made into a good bike for the woods and mountains, but it is heavy for a 250 two stroke.  Honestly, after dialing in my 250 I preferred it to my 200's for most riding.   The motor is very reliable on the 250.  It is based on the '88 KX250, but has a very heavy flywheel, lower compression, etc...

The motor mods are pretty simple - a new pipe, an '88 KX250 head gasket and revised jetting will work wonders.  The forks need some help - revalving to reduce high speed compression damping and put in stiffer springs.  Lots of guys also shave down the seat foam at the front to improve the riding position.  Stock, the bike is pretty slow turning, but you can quicken it up by raising the fork tubes, grinding down the steering stops, among other things. 

Last edited:

Top Bottom