Gumby190

Sep 11, 2005
Hey all, I am living in Australia & have an old KDX 250.
While replacing the gaskets after an underwater episode I knocked the barrel off the bench & bent the skirts & cracked the case, I have been shopping around & due to the fact that she is an SR model I have had no luck in finding a replacement. Plenty of offroad heads, they fit but due to the longer stroke in the SR I have had no joy. :(

I ride a 1991 model cause I am not exactly loaded with cash, 2 kids, wife etc.

So far I have been quoted-
$1500.00 for a new barrel & piston.
Buy another that needs a resleeve, $200.00 for barrel, $750.00 for resleeve & piston.

It was a great bike & is still registered, I just wanna know if anyone has any other ways to help me out.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Maybe you could put in a rod kit from a standard KDX or KX of that year and run the corresponding top end.

For what it's worth, the 92 KX250 cylinder is interchangeable with the 92 KDX250.

If this is the same for 91 you can run the KX cylinder (with the KX conrod). Those cylinders should be easy to find at wreckers.

You could even splash out for new nikasil and it would work out cheaper than the price you've been quoted.

Hope you get back to the trails soon :ride:

Gumby190

Sep 11, 2005
Antonyp to be honest I am not sure, but I have been told that it is. How would I find out 100%?

Arjay, I have just rebuilt the bottom end, new bearings seals etc after I went for a swim with her, so I really don't wanna pull her apart again.
I bought a barrel & piston from a wreckers & they were off a non street legal KDX 250, there was an issue with the deck clearance, over 0.5cm difference, so no compression, idled great but.....
The street legal versions also have a valve in front of the exhaust port, something to do with noise emissions, the offroaders don't. I guess a KX head would be the same & if I was to do this she might not get through rego again, but will be something to keep in my mind but for when I get really desperate.

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
How would I find out 100%?

You need to check the frame number. Here's how it goes:

KDX250-F1 (1991)
Frame no. DX250F-000001 ---> DX250F-008500 (8500 Bikes Produced)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KDX250-F2 (1992)
Frame no. DX250F-008501 ---> DX250F-016000 (7500 Bikes Produced)

e.t.c
e.t.c

Let me know what your frame number is and also your engine number. I might be able to help. I have the KDX250-F1 (1991) complete part catalogue along with the few differences between 91-94 models (mine is the 92 model by the way) which was sent to me from Kawasaki Japan through my country's Kawasaki dealer (how I got it is a bit of a long story -and it wasn't easy-). If your frame number corresponds to what I have here I can give you the part numbers (no descriptions since the catalogue is in Japanese) for every part of the bike from tail light to front mud guard, from piston rings to carb screws :)

The problem with getting the parts is not because she is an SR model. The problem is because she is a Japanese domestic model and this also explains the small production numbers. When a bike is imported used from Japan the local dealer in our countries (Cyprus in my case) is not able to locate the parts through their computerized system that they use to order the parts and most of the times they are not even bothered to make the necessary phone calls. They say that since the bike was not officially imported through the dealership they are not obligated to provide parts for it because it was not meant to be used outside Japan. I could go on for hours if I start talking about the rows I had with the dealer over here! never mind...

Tony

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
:whoa: That Frame no. you gave me is definitely not in the list I have. Your bike doesn't seem to be a japanese domestic model after all. Actually it doesn't even seem to be a european or US kawi frame no at all. I wonder if it's some sort of Malaysian model or something... :think: hmmm

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
Ok. First we need to gather as much info as we can on this type of bike you have. Check this out:

Follow this link - It's a Japanese website of Kawasaki that gives you the part numbers of part lists. Got it? Every parts catalogue has its own part number so that you can order it from Kawasaki (nice).

http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/parts_cat/cgi-bin/pcsearch.cgi?mode=mc

You will see 4 drop-down lists. The first one is the list of models the second and third is the "From year" "To year" lists and the fourth one is the template list of frame numbers. Every frame template denotes a different model of bike. JKADX is listed there among with every other frame type ever made by Kawasaki anywhere in the world. OK. This means that since it's there then there is also a parts list for it which is good. BUT (here we go...) when I type the rest of the frame number in there "ME17MA00027" and press enter or click on the Jap button that probably means search... IT DOES NOT GIVE ME THE RESULTS !!! :bang:

I tried my frame number and it works a charm ! So I don't understand why yours doesn't !

Are you 10000000% sure that you gave me the absolute correct frame number? Did you actually get it from the frame or the bike's papers?

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Brockton Cycle, (a vendor on egay, you have to look them up) has NOS (new old stock) KDX 250 jugs. Brand new from the factory $300. Not sure if that helps but nothing like nice new parts. No machine work, no risk.

New KDX250 weisco piston kits are out there right now for $90.

<$400 and a new top end. Not bad.

Good luck!

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
Even with that extra zero I get no results. It's like if your bike was never manufactured ! What a mess ! And I thought I had problems getting parts... :ohmy:

antonyp

Jun 20, 2002
Pafos
I don't know to be honest. But don't count what somebody else's pins e.t.c. are like. My bike's piston is the same for KDX SR models from 91-94. But the rings for some reason are not, plus various other little annoying things that make life extremely difficult...

Let me give you a piece of advice. Go to your local Kawi dealer and tell him: Ok! This is my frame and engine number. Contact Kawasaki in Japan and give it to them and ask for the parts list/catalogue to be sent over.

If he tells you he cannot do that (there is a procedure to be followed and they do not particulalry want to do it) don't believe him. Try to insist as polite as possible giving them the infamous line of words: It says Kawasaki on it. Where am I supposed to go? Service Honda?

If he still doesn't want to help then contact Kawasaki Japan by fax (don't try to email they will probably ignore you) and tell them that you have this bike with these numbers e.t.c. and that the local Kawasaki dealer (include his address e.t.c)refuses to help you acquire the parts and/or parts list.

They are obligated to contact him with a forwarded copy of your complaint and tell him how to proceed to help you. If all goes well, you will have your parts list within a couple of weeks.

This is what happened in my case! I do not guarantee it will happen in yours but that is entirely up to your perseverance!

Good luck !!! ;)

Gumby190

Sep 11, 2005
Well after countless phone calls & many hours on the hunt I have finally got her all back together again.
She is running a 1992 Wiseco KX 250 piston, oversized 68.50mm.
A 1992 KX 250 barrel with a cast iron sleeve.
All this seems to have solved a few over problems I had before as well, so I am pretty happy.
So now comes the painful task of running her in again.

Thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom