david ganster

Jul 5, 2006
I just bought a '91 KDX 250. The person I bought it from said that the front fork was purchased from a Kawasaki dealership in Columbus, IN, from a catalog. They are Kayaba USD forks with Kayaba sticker/chip gaurds on the upper tubes.

Is there any way to tell whether or not they are OEM or aftermarket forks, ie. part numbers, marks, etc?

The reason I am asking is because they are very sticky. I removed the 2 brass screws from the top of the forks, nothing went in, nothing came out, and it made the stickiness worse. After putting the bike back on the stand, releasing all the pressure from the front fork, and replacing the screws, it went back to being bad sticky instead of really bad sticky. Being totally unfamiliar with USD forks, and noticing that the fork seals were leaking, I am assuming that they are dry.

Does anybody know a good resource for disassembly, inspection and reassembly online? Or are there no pitfalls, and I can just start taking them apart? Does anybody know the correct procedure for refilling them?

I would call the Kawasaki dealership and ask them, but judging from recent experience, I will just be greeted with blank stares and open mouths.

Thanks,
Dave

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom