1991 RM250 Set Up

RM4Life

May 10, 2009
After being out of it for 20 some years I have recently purchased a solid, clean '91 RM 250. Any set up tips would be very welcome as I have no idea of the features/benefits of this bike. Any known issues to be corrected or otherwise modified? I am 5' 7" and 170 lbs., trail/desert rider.

Thanks in advance.

dans9717

May 8, 2009
I have an 89 RM250 which I believe is pretty much the same bike. These are fun bikes, tons of power and they handle great! :laugh: I can't really tell you how they jump, cause any air over 5ft scares the crap out of me! I mainly ride desert trails and an occational single track. My RM is super quick on single track, but the throttle requires a lot of finesse on those tight turns. The only con I see with these bikes is their stopping ability. Make sure you give yourself plenty of room at first, I've gone down a few times due to misjudging the braking distance. Enjoy!

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
Call up FMF Racing. They have those things dialed in from Motocross to Enduros to HareScrambles. The work they did with Rodney Smith really pays off as far as the knowledge they have with both RM250's and RMX250's.

Also Moose Racing/A-Loop had excellent Suspension Revalve Mods for those bikes. I don't know if they are still doing the Suspension thing, but if they are give them a holler.

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
I've got a 1990 RM250,and i love it,if you want a fast snappy resonse with it i'd go with a 13:49 sprocket set up,as far as the stopping goes ive got aftermarket oversized braake rotors and it stops great,mine has been in the shop for a month and a half now being totally rebuilt,so it should be interesting how it rides now being pretty much brand new.I've also been thinking about gettin the ASV break away levers,i tend to go through cheap ones like fat kid goes through cupcakes lol.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…