Frankf300

Mar 8, 2007
Well I'm not giving up on my search for a bike yet lol. I missed the oppurtunity at a 93 KDX200 which I wanted bad, but I didn't have the cash yet. Now I have the cash in hand and I'm ready to start riding. I found a 1991 XR250 for sale that seems to be a nice bike. I've contacted the seller, but I haven't heard back as of yet, it was only a few minutes ago. Supposedly it has a new chain and sprockets and new wheel bearings. He claims it needs nothing and is ready to ride. His asking price is $950. Here are a few pics:
Pic 1

Pic 2

What do you think of this bike for a first time rider for me. If you look at my previous threads you'll see my original thread. The KDX200 was a popular reccomendation for me, but I've heard good things about the XR250s. What do you guys think? How about the price, you think I can get that down a bit more? Thanks for the input again! :cool:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
It's a good first bike as the power isn't intimidating for a beginner. Kind of heavy, but rock-solid reliable. If all you're going to be doing is trail riding then go for it. There are a few things to look for: Is the air-filter clean and well oiled? This is a sign of how well the previous owner maintained the bike. Is the engine oil clean and full? Another sign of the previous owners maintenance. Does the exhaust smoke on start-up, but stop once the engine warms up? Valve seals are no longer pliable and very common in XRs.

Price doesn't seem too out of line with what people are asking for used bikes these days, but it doesn't hurt to try and negotiate. Don't forget to budget money for some things it will need. I've never bought a used bike that didn't need something.

Frankf300

Mar 8, 2007
Well I just got a reply back, turns out it's a woman lol. She said she'd be willing to drop to $850. For that price I'm seriously considering it, so I'll have some money to put into it. Only thing is that I have almost a 2 hour ride to check out the bike, so it's all or nothing I guess.

mojave ron

Dec 25, 2006
at $850 i say go get it.....people roll the dice alot more with $3000 dollar 4 strokes these days...hell 2 strokes also..this is an xr250....on the average it should still have a few great years of trail riding left in her...well post with your results and gl man..

peanuts

Jun 16, 2007
XR's are like the Terminator...

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

:cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I can't beleive Pred hasn't chimed in ;) . Sounds like a decent buy. Those bikes are generally some of the most reliable there are. The fact that it was woman owned is a plus as well. As others said, watch for smoke on cold starts, make sure the air filter looks fairly clean. Feel the cylinder when you get there to see if its warm. Some people try to hide problems such as hard starting or oil consumption when cold. Good luck :cool: :ride: .

Frankf300

Mar 8, 2007
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll make sure to make good use of all those tips. It's a good thing you guys mentioned that stuff because I wasn't sure what to look for when buying a used bike. I may be going to check out the bike this weekend and if everything checks out than I'll probably be coming home with it. I don't want to keep passing up these opportunities. :)

Frankf300

Mar 8, 2007
OK, technically this doesn't have to do with a 4 stroke, but it is relative to my original post. Another 93 KDX200 went up for sale relatively close to where the XR is located. It has a Pro circuit pipe and silencer also. He's asking $1000. Now, my concern is should a begginer like me start with a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? Honestly I like the KDX a lot better, I want to take a run out there today to check it out. I would have to see the KDX first, I don't want to buy that out of excitement and find it was a bad choice. I like the power of a 2T, but I've never experienced it on a 200lb frame with 2 wheels, only a 700lb snowmobile :) .

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The KDX200 IS the XR of the two stroke world. IMO.

Either one would be an excellent bike for you. If you prefer two strokes then get the KDX.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom