91yami

Oct 13, 2007
Hi there. My name is Rick and I'm new here to dirt rider. I live in southern california and have been riding motorcycles of all kinds for about 21 years now. I currently have a 1991 YZ250 and it is leaking oil from the " shifter shaft". I'm not sure how bad this could or couldn't be. Can someone please help with suggestions on where to start. I've had the bike since 2000 and have not had a problem with it until now :^(. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Start with a service manual. Someone may have a similar bike and be able to help. I believe those can be changed from the outside. Go see if your local parts dealer can get you one.

91yami

Oct 13, 2007
Thanks Joe. I've been trying to find a service manual and have had no luck. The dealership is now waiting for a call back from yamaha to see is I can order one from them I'm hoping it won't be a hard j0b though

snowskater101

Jul 18, 2007
its no big deal at all, just buy the new oil seal for it, take your shifter off, screw a screw into the leaky seal about 2mm (making sure not to go in too deep and not hitting the shaft), grab a hold of the screw with some pliers and pull it out, put some oil on the outside of the new one and slide it right in. if it doesnt go in smooth use a small peice of pipe the same diameter to evenly get it on. the whole process will only take about ten minutes.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
If the bike has been wrecked and the shift shaft bent, replacing the seal may not do it. (Been there--actually I'm still there now). But generally, that isn't the case and simply replacing the seal will fix it. I'd drain the oil first and dab some grease on the back of the new seal before installing.

Top Bottom