1992 Forks - Too Soft

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Been hunting around for mods for increasing stiffness of 1992 KDX200 front forks. found http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/FRPtips.html which recommends 1998 .33KG springs - but kawasaki only lists .34-.37KG - I'm trying to set this up for a rider of about 165lbs. (actually multiple riders, but that weight is in the middle)

Q1) Is .34 KG Springs about right?
Q2) Are the 1998 springs a "Drop-in" replacement?

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Yes...that's about right, Just ask if one of the guys here riding a newer KDX will sell you their old springs... (that's what I did) CHEAP!
They drop in, but you may have to adjust the preload with a spacer made of 1" PVC.
Good Luck! :)

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I'll sell you my springs from a '02 KDX 220. I replaced them with '97 xr 400 springs. The Kawi springs have two rides on them. $40.00 for the set

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Hi Karl, you have PM turned off. Will the 02 springs fit similar to the 99 springs?

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
With gear I weigh about 155 lbs. I went and got the heavy option on stock springs .31 and cleaned out / reassembled the forks, new seals, 10wt silkoline.

I like it a lot, it fits me very good and I ride with some pretty fast guys, I'm old and slow but I have my moments.

One thing about new springs, you could replace them with the same spring rate and it will feel stiffer,.. because the old springs are sagging. There was about 1/2 inch difference between new and old on mine.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I agree completely, David. On my '90 and my buddy's '89 we cut some coils off the spring. Raising the oil level also greatly increases bottoming reistance.

Do the cheap things first and save your money for cartridge fork emulators!

Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
I would like to buy someones unwanted 95-200x KDX fork springs. I purchased some .38's from FRP, but I feel that they are too stiff for woods riding.....if anyone can help please e-mail me.
tks
:silly:

Originally posted by fuzzy
Yes, 95-200x are all the same....Jump on these springs.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Gomez-
If you are still looking I have the set from my '02 220. $40 for set with the stock preload tubes.
I'd be glad to help you out
Karl

Gomes-nz

~SPONSOR~
Apr 4, 2002
karl

tanks, but I have already brought some of another reader, for 40 bucks also.

thanks though.

Darrin

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Ok, now for two follow on questions - I ended up with a whole set of 98 forks, which, while having nice springs, do not fit the bike, so I'm just still using the springs. My first shock rebuild is going better than expected.

1) The 98 springs are about 1" shorter. I don't know where to start with preload, but I do have the other spacers out of the 98's which should work with the help of a hacksaw. Shall I start with an additional 1"? for oil I'm using 10W @ 135mm, about 625cc's. (per manual)

2) The 98 springs are really just marginally "thicker" than the 92's. Is the difference between the springs visually dramatic or do I have some already thicker 92's or thinner 98's?? The newer springs seem slightly stiffer out of the shock, but not dramatically.

PS: Who invented the fork oil tool, that is ridiculous, a freaking tape measure works just fine (at least on these forks). I suppose a syringe and a tube to suck it out would be nice, but come on, a special tool?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I weigh 255lbs. Anyone know if the .38's would be right for me? or the .40's or .42's?

Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…