thedrknows

Dec 21, 2009
I am looking at buying my first dirt bike. I am a beginner rider on dirt bikes, but have plenty experience street riding (2007 Triumph 675). I will be using the bike for trail/river bed riding in Alaska and possible dune riding after moving to AZ. I want a bike that will do fine in both situations. I don't want something that will leave me wanting more on either terrain. I am aware of the maintenance costs between the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. I am strickly wondering about which bike will suite me the best. I am 6', 150lbs. Here are the descriptions of what I am looking at:

2006 YZ450f Purchased New from dealer in 2007 ( four stroke)
2 hours ride time, might has well be brand new. 1500 dollars worth of extras- Black on Black Pro Series Rims with new tread. Black and White Plastic- Have to Sell, Painful Price 2,500 dollars.

1992 KDX 200 that has been taken good care of. It was completely rebuilt from the frame up. Wiseco piston, FMF fatty pipe, Boyesen reeds, Dirt Digger Clutch, KX forks, KX fenders and number plate, Renthal sprokets, matching green o-ring chain. Frame was sandblasted and painted gloss black. New handle bars, hand grips, and clutch cable. With all the above upgrades the bike only has maybe three hours on it. Asking $1800

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
1) You couldnt have picked 2 bikes that are more different. The KDX is a mild mannered trail bike and the YZ is a very powerful motocross bike. A YZ450F is not a beginners bike..not even sort of....especially at your weight.
2) The KDX is waaaayy overpriced. You can buy a 2001-2002 for that amount of money.
3) Never believe a seller when they tell you a bike has X amount of hours. How many sellers do you think represent their bikes with 100% honesty?

My advise would be to do some research about bikes before you make a decision. Spend some time searching this site. Educating yourself will go a long way.

thedrknows

Dec 21, 2009
I agree about the KDX being over priced. I have already told the guy selling the bike that he would need to get closer to $1000.

Although the 450 is more of an advanced bike, is it something a beginner would be able to handle (with care and a good helmet :) ) The KDX200 seemed to be geared solely for trail and would not give me the all around bike I am looking for. If is would be possible to learn on the 450, $2500 seemed to be a decent deal. I know 2 hours is probably not accurate. I think the guy selling is getting a divorce and may sell it for $2000 cash. Thoughts?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
No one could say if $2K is a steal for that bike unless they have ridden it. It could be a steal or it could be a bike that needs $2500 in repairs.

All we can do is give advise. If you think you can handle a 45 horsepower motocross bike, go for it....get yourself a good insurance policy.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Correction...after some reading, I have found that the YZ450 is closer to 52 horsepower. You do realize that most beginners dont start on a 450cc motocross bike, right?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You have a bunch of street experience and you don't sound like an over excited 14 year old so I'd say you'll be fine with the 450, it only goes as fast you twist the throttle. That being said you will need to be conscious of riding within your ability.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I have never known of a beginner, regardless of street experience or age, to start on a 450 motocross bike....especially a 150 pound rider. The power of a YZ450 is very unforgiving and abrupt...much different from a trail bike. If you were 250 pounds and starting on a WR450...maybe. Its simply a bad idea. I have been riding trails on and off for about 26 years and my YZ400F is about all I need.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The KDX is probly not a great idea even at a grand. It's just too old. Find a newer model.

The Yamaha, if it's really as unused as he says, would be a hell of a good investment if nothing else. It is definately a fast bike but would be just fine for you in the dunes. Tight trails will suck for a while, the bike will probly kick your arse a couple times as you learn. Well, in reality, it'll probly kick your arse periodically as long as you own it, lol. It has a close ratio tranny so it won't have the top speed of an XR650 or other large bore, wide ratio off road bike. I would image the even KDX is faster top speed.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Regardless of the bike you choose, pal you're in alaska & need a ride that has enough power for both places and is a very reliable electric start for that really quick get away from the bear that wants you for lunch. Don't buy a mx race bike, they make terrible trail bikes & have no lighting system. Look long & hard, there are many bikes out there that will suit your requirements. Good luck & best regards, Porkchop....

thedrknows

Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Porkchop, lighting system? It is sunny all day long during AK summers!

What bike would be the best for the kind of riding I am looking at (out of all the bikes out there, not just the KDX or YZ)?

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
jb_dallas said:
Correction...after some reading, I have found that the YZ450 is closer to 52 horsepower. You do realize that most beginners dont start on a 450cc motocross bike, right?

Most beginners don't have a lot of experience on a bike that has a higher power to weight ratio then a yz450f either though.

If the yz450 checks out then I would snatch it up before someone else does.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
What bike would be the best for the kind of riding I am looking at (out of all the bikes out there, not just the KDX or YZ)?[/QUOTE]

If you are comparing these 2 bikes, that tells me you dont understand different models and their purpose. I think you would have alot to gain by educating yourself about different bikes and their strengths and weaknesses. Afterwards, you can make your own decision.

Your situation is a unique one, you want a bike that will be good on the trail and the dunes. The YZ will make a poor trail bike, I own one and can attest to that fact, but it will have plenty of power for the dunes. A CRF250X or a WR250, for instance, probably wont provide the power you need for the dunes, but would make a good trail bike.

You may want to ask yourself where you plan to ride the most and go from there. If you plan to ride trails more than dunes, you will disappointed in the YZ. I wish I would have chose a WR (wide range) instead of the YZ. Motocross bikes make poor trail bikes, I know first hand.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Clarification

I will not own a bike with out lights, period. Even if you don't want it on the front, full time, an emergency light in your pack that plugs in if needed & velcros to you helmet can save your rear.My old cr500 has lights, It's been enduroized & I put 7 great seasons on it. My current ride is honda crf 450x, & is vary trail friendly, possibly the crf250x, or an xr400. No mater where you ride, if things go late on you, having a light makes it a non issue, or you can find out the hard way. Remember, alaska plays for keeps, so do many other places. Good hunting, Porkchop....
P. S. I do not recommend the cr500, I only referenced it about the lights.
Any of the off road 4 stroke 250's will do thedrknows well, he states his weight at 150 lbs. ( big bore not needed, with the exception of xr 400.)
It sounds as if we are all implying that this guy can't control the throttle,
my bet is that he adapts quickly, even if he picks up the yzf, or any of the other suggestions given here. I will admit that my opinion is somewhat biased, because I have been on a big bore ride since the age of 13 and like a ride with big torque. Good luck.....

Last edited:

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
thedrknows said:
What bike would be the best for the kind of riding I am looking at (out of all the bikes out there, not just the KDX or YZ)?

1st choice depending on money and availabilyty/condition cr500,engine , pipe and suspension tuned for smooth&easy with a wide ratio trans and a big tank
then I would go for the older two stroke RMX,WR.....or Xr400,WR400 something that has steel valves ,something with a big enough engine for wide open spaces yet set up from the factory with trail oriented transmision &tank.

2stroke250 mx bikes are easy enough to tame the power for trail but the tank and transmision are limiting factors

I think those might be a better compromise for tight trails and open spaces than your original options.

when you rode the street did you ride sport bikes or cruisers if you rode sport than the yz450 shouldn't be too much engine for you too learn where the kdx200 would be more like the cruiser type engine

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
A CR500 for a guy that is new to dirt riding....come on people. I think there is alot of knowledge on this site and it an excellent resource, but I dont understand the push for beginners to start on big bore bikes. It makes no sense to me. I have friends that have just started riding. They have their hands full with my XR400 (32 horsepower) and we are recommending a 50-52 horsepower motocross bike for this guy. I sure as hell dont want to be on the trail with a beginner piloting a YZ450...its a good way for us both to end up in the ER. Why couldnt a beginner start on a smaller bike, advance thier skill, then upgrade?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
jb_dallas said:
I think there is alot of knowledge on this site and it an excellent resource, but I dont understand the push for beginners to start on big bore bikes. It makes no sense to me. I have friends that have just started riding. They have their hands full with my XR400 (32 horsepower) and we are recommending a 50-52 horsepower motocross bike for this guy. I sure as hell dont want to be on the trail with a beginner piloting a YZ450...its a good way for us both to end up in the ER. Why couldnt a beginner start on a smaller bike, advance thier skill, then upgrade?

It would generally not be my first choice, that being said the op asked for the opinion on two specific bikes and he didn't want either to leave him wanting more in his two specific requirements. Given that the 450 is the only choice as a KDX in the dunes would not be the ticket. The dunes scenario makes any choice a compromise.

Also considering this rider has extensive experience on a 105 HP sport bike should mean throttle control won't be an issue which is the biggest concern on a 450 for a newer rider.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The suggestion for a CR500 was a bad one for sure. The 450 isn't the best bet either but would be better suited to his needs than a KDX. Like Chili said, most beginners have trouble while they're learning throttle and clutch control where this guy has experience so would be better off then someone with no time on a motorcycle at all.

thedrknows

Dec 21, 2009
jsantapau said:
when you rode the street did you ride sport bikes or cruisers if you rode sport than the yz450 shouldn't be too much engine for you too learn where the kdx200 would be more like the cruiser type engine

I said in my initial question, but I have owned a Yamaha R6 and now a Triumph 675. I ride all differnet road types (twisty to highway), fast or slow, rain or shine. I first learned to ride a motorcycle on my R6, so its not like I started out on a 250cc sport bike.

For those who say a CR500 is too much for me... If you ride in the dunes, the sand soaks a ton of the power from your bike and there are no really tight turns to be worried about. I'm sure I could jump on my brother in laws CR500 and be just fine. Would I take it to the drags and run it all out? No. Would I want to take it out on tight trails? No. I'm not a "beginner" who has never ridden motorcycles or ATVs for that matter. I have plenty experience working a clutch, throttle, and riding fast. The ATV I ride is a Honda 450r bored to 480, speed and throttle are towards the bottom of my list of worries. Getting the bike that will suit both open river bed, with a little trail riding in AK and sand dunes in AZ is at the top. I don't need something gear toward dunes alone, I have my quad to ride when I want the speed in the dunes.

Last edited:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
So you're not a beginner or a novice, go for it!

Heck, if thats the case get the yzf & adjust the suspension so it gets friendlier on the trail, you don't need it set up to do doubles & that's how they are sold. Good suspension but too firm. Or buy your bro-in-law's cr. You will save $ on maintenance, but the yzf is probably faster & newer technology. :think: :cool: :yikes:
Oh yea, I know i'm preaching to the choir, due to no e-start, be sure to pack plenty of heat with back up & ammo when venturing around AK.
I've got a cousin that lives in Anchorage & have been there twice. I want to go back badly, it's an awesome place to ride, no lack of good terrain.
I want to go to Nome to go prospecting. My cousin knows Martin Busser, he has won the Ididerod dog sled race several times. It's all good pal have fun! Best Regards, Porkchop....

Last edited:

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
when I meant a sport bike I was meaning a crotch rocket not knowing what the truimph was ,knowing that you had an r6 again I state that the yz450f should not be too much motor for you to learn on, again it shouldn't be too much motor for you too learn a cr 500 especially if it is mildly tuned for trails. I can put it into 3rd gear, coast around turns and roll the throttle on when it's straight just like I am sure anybody who has owned a an r6 could.

My main thing is that I am not found of using a modern 4 stroke motocross bike for trail riding maybe I am getting too old but the maintenance and expense recquired is too demanding compared to a bigbore 2stroke let alone any of thetried and proven trail/woods bikes but a lot of them just might let you down power wise if and when you get to the dunes or desert.

I guess a few more questions are do you want to be fast or do you want to feel fast? Do you want to have a bike that can take you most anywhere to explore or do you want your arms stretched when you graba handfull of throttle when conditions open up?Are you taking day long rides where fuel tank size and mileage is a concern?

this is a question of compromises and any one person is going to have their own idea of the perfect bike. KTM 300?

Top Bottom