cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Well, I took a look in my OLD '93 manual. It got wet, so half the pages are missing some print, sorry. So, I could not find any data on the actual specs. It may never have been there, I have no way of knowing.

In any case, the wiring diagram shows 2 coils under the flywheel. One for IGN and the other for lights.

I re-wound my IGN winding, due to mechanical damage. It took 22 million turns (lots) of fairly fine wire. I ended up making a tool to feed the wire onto the stator. The result was successful. I don't remember measuring the resistance, but with the fine wire, I suspect something like 300 Ohms.

The lighting coil consists of fairly few turns of large wire. I suspect a very low Ohm number. Maybe 10-30?

Those are WAG's, so I could be out to lunch on the numbers.

Also, both coils attach to each other with a common (center) wire.

Make sure to check for shorts to ground.

If you cannot find a stator, and yours is damaged beyond repair, I might consider winding it for you, as I have the tool and the wire.

Also, remember that the IGN winding has so many turns that if you have a broken wire near the outside of the winding, simply unwrap a few turns, solder on a strong flexible leader, insulate and glue it all back together. It will work without any issues. The loss of 0.000001% voltage won't matter.

The lighting winding can be easily done by hand. Like I said, few turns, big wire.

Good luck.

Chris

Top Bottom