1992 WR500 rear KYB shock w/bad shaft: Replace whole shock or buy a new shaft?

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Tech Care called me up after I sent in my shock for a revalve and rebuild, and they told me that the shaft on my shock was too pitted to use; that it would likely destroy the new seals leaving me with a leaky shock.

Yamaha makes no new shafts, but they are available from KYB for between $100 and $200.

Rather than pay to have a new shaft installed in an eighteen year old shock design, would it instead be worth it to upgrade to a used shock from a newer motorcycle, such as a WR450F or a KTM? It might cost a hundred or two more than the shaft route, but servicing might be easier in the future, as well.

Does anyone here have any insight or experience in doing this?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
The internal shock valving, shock shaft travel length etc. varies significantly shock to shock, bike to bike, year to year. Chances of finding a "modern" shock that just happens to be compatible with the specifics of your 1992 are slim to nill is my guess. Of course, with enough revalving and custom mods, anything could be made to work. I would suggest first seeing if you can find a good used shock specific for your bike online somewhere. But good chance it will need a rebuild being that old anyhow - so I would not pay much for it. Or...if you want to keep it simple and spend less time trying to find parts - just buy a new shaft for the old shock.

Unfortunately, with an older bike like yours, when stuff like this happens, it is pricey, and you rarely ever will get your money back out of it. (thats the way it is with about any bike more than 4 years old anyhow!) But you do get the satisfaction of pimping out a nice older scooter and letting it live to ride another day!

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Mike, I never figure cars or bikes as anything like an investment, but your point is well taken. I only wanted an air-cooled bike with modern suspension and good brakes. I hope to run the bike, scratch it, bash the bash plate, and wear down the tires while having fun. From the sound of it, the '91 KYB isnt really that bad of a design, with adjustable compression and rebound, so we are currently waiting to hear back from KYB to see if we can get a new shaft. I sure hope so!

...and yes I am pimping out this old scooter! I wont deny it. It'll certainly be easy to find it in the crowd, being that there aren't that many around. Perhaps, if 2009 turns out to be lots of fun, perhaps for 2010 I'll even trick out the motor to make it more trail friendly with some porting, head contouring, crankcase volume reduction, and autoclutch retrofits.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Thanks Pete, but the Tech-Care folks found that I can get a new shaft straight from KYB for $80, which is cheaper than I anticipated. Thus, it's a bit of a wash - New shaft versus rechrome, it's probably pretty close in terms of cost, especially when you figure in shipping charges back & forth.

Top Bottom