bullittRM125

Oct 23, 2013
first off,i am glad to be a part of the forum. 1993 suzuki rm 125, I just got this bike for free off of a friend of mine and it had been sitting for about 2yrs,it did not run. I went through and cleaned out the gas tank and went through the carb and cleaned it,also new air filter and new clutch and basket. Changed out the crankcase oil also. The bike fired up immediatly on the first kick with the choke pulled. I rode it around my yard and noticed it was extremely loaded up,i took it out and rode it trying to blow it out and it seemed to pick up and start running better,after about an hour it started to crap out and it died on me,lucky i was close to a friends house,pushed it there and pulled the plug. It was completly fouled with black on it,borrowed a plug and it immediatly started up and i rode it home. It was still way doggy and acted like it was fouling out again. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?the bike seems to have good compression and acts like it wants to run? Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated?

bullittRM125

Oct 23, 2013
first off,i am glad to be a part of the forum. 1993 suzuki rm 125, I just got this bike for free off of a friend of mine and it had been sitting for about 2yrs,it did not run. I went through and cleaned out the gas tank and went through the carb and cleaned it,also new air filter and new clutch and basket. Changed out the crankcase oil also. The bike fired up immediatly on the first kick with the choke pulled. I rode it around my yard and noticed it was extremely loaded up,i took it out and rode it trying to blow it out and it seemed to pick up and start running better,after about an hour it started to crap out and it died on me,lucky i was close to a friends house,pushed it there and pulled the plug. It was completly fouled with black on it,borrowed a plug and it immediatly started up and i rode it home. It was still way doggy and acted like it was fouling out again. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?the bike seems to have good compression and acts like it wants to run? Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated?

bullittRM125

Oct 23, 2013
i wanted to add. A friend of mine said it could be a crank seal,but he also added that it would be having alot of white smoke coming out of the pipe. It does have lots of blue smoke,not white and it smells pretty bad. I did run the mixture screw in all the way and back it out 1 and a half turns also after cleaning the carb. Someone also said my float setting could be off too. Then another person told me the power valve could be sticking too. I am at a loss and dont know what to do? Please,some advice here? Thanks.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It could still be the crank seal. The one on the right side is in the tranny oil and if it leaks it will suck in oil that can cause your issue. It's not that hard to change and can be done with the engine in the frame. I had a bike that I chased the jetting for weeks before I decided to change the seal and the fouling went away.

You said it started with the choke on. Did it have to stay on or did you turn off the choke once it got warmed up?

Oh, and Welcome to DRN!

bullittRM125

Oct 23, 2013
i was also told that i could use an additive mixed with the crankcase oil, to stop the seal from leaking,but i dont know how well that would work or if thats even a good idea. I will probably just change it if its not that big a deal. Need some tips on how to do that please?

bullittRM125

Oct 23, 2013
kinda new to working on two stroke dirt bikes,lol. Allways rode them and dad worked on them. Now i wanna learn to fix them. Any help would be usefull. Thanks.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
A service manual would help but the seal can be accessed if you removed the clutch basket and the gear off of the crank. There is a sleeve that is between the crank and the seal that can be slid out and then you can pry the seal out with a flat bladed screw driver. Make sure you note which way the seal goes so the new one can be installed the same way. Be careful not to score the crank when removing the seal. I always replace the sleeve at the same time whether it looks worn or not.

It’s not that hard of a job to do.

bullittRM125

Oct 23, 2013
i will go to the local suzuki shop and see if they have a seal and a sleeve,sounds like a pretty easy fix. Thank you very much for the info and i will keep you posted after i get her put back together.

bullittRM125

Oct 23, 2013
Well i got the seal.went to drain the oil in the crank and it was very thin like water coming out and smelled really gassy and bad. does anyone haveany suggestions before i put the new seal in or anyone had a problemlike this?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Gas could have gotten into the tranny through the leaky crank seal. Just drain it all out and put in fresh oil after you repalce the seal.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
You'll need either a special tool for holding the basket to remove the nut, or an impact tool. Either way you may want to get someone to help that has done it before. BTW, the "additive" is a bad idea, beyond bad actually. Use a quality gear case oil made for wet clutch motorcycles when you have the new seal installed. And yes, the early zukis wasted seals pretty regularly :nod:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom