robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Hello guys:

Dad has a 1994 CR 125 and the carb has a serious problem and needs replaced.

Can't seem to find a 1994 carb at the moment. Is there any reason he can't use the same carb size from a different year and make it work?

There are 1995 carbs on fleabay, but the oem part number is SLIGHTLY different.

Thanks.

Rob

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rob - As long as you match the jetting, slide cutaway, and verify the cable allows WOT as well as seating correctly on closed throttle, you should be fine. Carbs didn't change much for a fairly long time.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
Rob - As long as you match the jetting, slide cutaway, and verify the cable allows WOT as well as seating correctly on closed throttle, you should be fine. Carbs didn't change much for a fairly long time.

Thanks - that's what I was thinking, but dad's a bit hesitant about changing anything that's stock. . . my father in law, on the other hand, has a Dell'Orto on his CR125 kart and it works well.

Dad tried Service Honda and they said they couldn't get what he needed. There are knockoffs of the old Keihins on fleabay and they look identical to the keihins - without the word "keihin" stamped on the side.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
Ditto

2strokerfun said:
Try Sudco. Don't buy the chinese knockoffs. I tried one on my kid's XR70 and it was just a leaking pile of aluminum.

If I was given a chinese copy I wouldn't even use it as a fishing weight for fear it would rot away before a fish took the bait. Ive yet to find anything chinese and motorcycle I can trust

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Try the 96 CR, find a year that is still available, 200~400 dollars new. Sudco MAY be cheaper, and get the exact same carb, Maybe? Used, from fleabay, get a few of them. No guarantee on getting what you pay for. If you use paypal, do not forget buyer protection from idiots. Any 125 about that year should work. Stay away from Mikuni, Del Orto, Bing, Edelbrock, Chinese, no name,,,

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I have to agree with the boys on this one. A Chinese knock-off of a proper Japanese carb, is just a headache looking for a home.

Just because it looks like a carb on the outside, doesn't mean the poorly made Chinses insides will act like a carb. ;)

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
short story: 3 four stroke 250 bikes, same chinese seller, same color, same box, same order, same everything.
all three require different jetting, one had a hole in radiator and the hose wasn´t in place, other had a so bad engine casting that the water pump was sealed on in and out pipes. one of them doesn´t carry engine oil, one had the rear shock stuck, wouldn´t move at all. one had not have the valve timing correct, i could be here all day long. :rotfl:

BUT, i had have good luck with the keihin pwk copies. they are cheap, jets and needles readly available, even slides are cheap, and carbs are very consistent. we run them a lot on moded dt 50´s yamaha and a lot of other small bikes, like scooters, and they are very good.
actually i am running one 30 instead of stock 26 pe keihin on my cr 80 and it would put the old and weared stock one to shame in ease of tuning and part throttle openings.
there are several brands and most scooter parts shop have them on 24, 28, 30 and 32 sizes.

just to conclude, we have a mx amateur class that consists in original 50cc engines but modded at will!!!! the displacement could be as big as we can get and the bikes can be whatever we want. most run these carbs... :cool:

now, chinese jets are another different matter :think:

Top Bottom