250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Hello all:
I have been riding a 1994 wr250 for two years now and I don't really know anything about it.It is a nice bike,but I have never met anybody else with one of them.I was just wondering if anyone here rides one or knows anything about them such as specifications,common problems or anything else that comes to mind.What are they most commonly used for?How does their power compare to the racing bikes?
thank you
250girl

Last edited:

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I'm going off of memory...... But, I remember reading the article in Dirt Rider about that bike when it came out. If I recall correctly it was more or less a Yz250 with a larger tank, wide ratio tranny, lighting coil, and slightly softer valved suspension. They said it was a great desert/west coast trails bike, but that it was valved fairly stiff for slow east coast tight trails riding. They also said that the tank was Monsterous and very wide. I don't recall there being any problems with the bike though. I think you got a nice solid machine that was the powerhouse of the class for many years. ;)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
What do you want to know?

I had a 1993 WR250 and it was a great bike. The tank was horrible so I got a yz tank for it and it worked really well. I think I had to get different plastic for it too but can't remember completely.

I had Eric Gorr port it for low end and put some v-force reeds in it. I also had an FMF pipe for it. The bike had great power in the low end and I kept the stock gearing even for the East Coast rides I did.

The suspension was a bit harsh but I had it revalved with Race Tech Gold Valves and that helped (but there is only so much you can do with it... the suspension will never be as good as the newer bikes).

Ivan

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Yes,it does have a huge tank that annoys me greatly.If I could put a smaller tank on it that would be great.I was also wondering what the weight of it is.Is there any way to make it lighter?I am about 5'6'' and 130lbs and the bike pretty much crushes me.I sometimes ride a 2001 cr250 and the weight of that one is perfect for me.

The suspension has never been a problem for me since I am such a small rider.It is nice and smooth for the trails and that's all I really want.

And the power of the wr amazes me.It can keep up with all of the racing bikes without a problem.I have had racers ride it,and they thought it was a yz.It is a very sturdy, versatile bike that can stand up to a lot of pounding.

I do not know what work has been done on it.My dad bought it about 5 years ago,and then quit riding.It just got put in the shed and forgotten.Then about 2 years ago I found it,took it out,dusted it off and started riding it.I didn't even know what it was,but dad told me it was a '94 wr.That's about all I know lol.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The WR 250 is known for a lot of power and the gearing is great. Especially for the open areas where you hit 5th gear regularly.

There is not much you can do to make it lighter.

You can look at the Clarke Tanks but I am not sure that a stock yz 94 tank will fit.

http://www.clarkemfg.com/cgi-bin/mi...=CM&Product_Code=1337&Category_Code=Yamaha+YZ

I know that with the 93 WR250 you had to use a 92 YZ tank b/c the 93 WR had the same frame as the 92 yz but they changed the frame for the 93 yz and the 94 WR but I do not know how compatible things are.

You can call Clarke and ask them if they know or if they will ship you one to try out but sometimes Clarke can be hard to deal with. Their products are awesome though.

Ivan

Jpxr250r

Jan 3, 2021
Hello sorry for the 14 years delay do you still have the wr250 here mine wr 1994 I swapped the seat and tank yz250 style.... Now it's white and pink yz250 1993 oem style

Top Bottom