1994 YZ 250 - The good the bad and the things to look for

classic-indy

Apr 6, 2010
My friend just acquired a 1994 YZ 250. We are currently rebuilding the engine because it had thrown a crank bearing. Cylinder is being honed, along with new piston, wrist pin, along with full gasket kit and oil seals. Other than the crank bearing the condition of the engine was surprisingly good. No abnormal wear or anything of the sort.

So my question is: Are there any common problems with the bike as a whole? Is there something I should be checking/replacing before assembling the engine?

Thanks, for any and all input!!!

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Hopefully you have a manual...if so, follow it step by step..if not, buy one. I had a '89 or '90 YZ250 years ago and it was fast as hell and reliable. If you rebuild it correctly, keep the air filter clean, and run the correct fuel ratio, that engine should be good for many hours.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Good reliable bike, scary fast at times. No particular problem areas, other than that they are not particularly fond of cast OEM pistons. Run a forged piston if possible, and have fun, and BE CAREFUL, lol.

FNG

May 2, 2008
I have a '95.

Fresh top-end (cast piston). Boyesen RAD valve, flywheel weight, down 1 on the pilot and 2 on the main but I think you have a different carb. Pro-Circuit Platinum pipe and FMF turbine core2 I think with the spark arrestor. I run it 30-1 per the manual and make sure I am running 95+ octane as it WILL detonate with less.

I have tried ATF, gearsaver and 10W40 motorcycle oil in the tranny and the 10W40 is by far the best choice IMO. No false neutrals and much smoother clutch operation and shifting.

Check for wear on the waterpump drive gear. It is plastic and can/will wear out.

Suspension-wise, I replaced the fork seals and the fluid. Set it to stock specs and tuned from there, the rear shock is stock with a fresh recharge and again, set to stock settings and played with it from there. I did not deviate much from stock as my (lack of) abilities were in line with the factory settings for the most part.

Stock gearing. Good bottom end with a big HIT in the mid and a decent top. This bike pulls hard.

So far it has been bullet proof as their reputation has shown.

Last edited:

classic-indy

Apr 6, 2010
Thanks, for the info. I've got the parts and Manual on order and still waiting..... I HATE waiting! :bang: On the upside, it does give me time to Sandblast/paint the frame, and clean up the plastics so it looks nice when we get it running :laugh:

NW_YZF250

Apr 21, 2010
I also have just purchased 94 to convert to a Ice racer ( a sport that is becoming big where i live ) and have many questions, but if some one has or knows of a pdf manual let me know, thanks in advance.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom