powderfinger

Mar 30, 2006
I just purchased a 94 YZ250 and the rear shock is shot. Can anyone tell me what year model shocks will fit this bike and if the YZ125 has the same shock.

I don't race and I don't jump it enough to care about if the shock is setup for my exact weight. I just want a shock that works.

Also, what is involved in servicing one of those shocks? Is it just a matter of replacing the seals and filling it with oil. The bottom of the shock is wet like all the oil leaked out and the shock pretty much isn't doing anything at all, the spring is just bouncing up and down.

Thanks in advance for any help.

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Measure the length of the shock shafts fully extended, if they are the same lenght it should work, or just get yours rebuilt before you trash the whole shock body by running it without oil.With the oil leaking out I would let the gas out of the bladder before it ruptures, save some money on the rebuild!

powderfinger

Mar 30, 2006
How much does a shock rebuild usually cost. This is the first bike I have owned since I was a kid. I am an ATV guy I just couldn't turn town a cheap bike.

Also, how hard is the clutch to work on. I am about to find out because the clutch is screwed up as well.

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
A standard rebuild is $80 or $90 but with all the parts most likely less than $200. How does the shock shaft look? Any rust or chrome missing if so thats another 100. Clutchs are easy, eaiser with an impact gun if you are removing the outer basket.

powderfinger

Mar 30, 2006
the shock looks good, the bottom of it is just wet from the oil leaking out. I am going to take it off this weekend and have someone look at it. The rest of the repairs I will do myself.

Top Bottom