Rich250F

Jun 11, 2002
Just want any input on the bike I jsut got, it is a 1995 CR125 and from when I got it from the previous owner it won't idle.  Once you start it it runs really good it just won't idle.  Looking for any ideas or input, plus anything else I need to know about this bike.

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
you can make it idle by letting the rpm's rest at a higher rate when idle... dont see the point in that though.

my cr125 only idles when the choke is on

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Does it die quickly once you let the throttle go or does it slowly sputter to a stop?

Check the basics first: carb settings, good carb cleaning, worn reeds won't help it idle at all. I think I have a manual for this bike at home. I'll do a little digging for you when I get a chance.

So you've got a ride for DW now?

John

Rich250F

Jun 11, 2002
Hey slower I would greatly appreciate it if you did have a manual. If so bring it to DW, and the answer is yes I finally have a ride for DW. Count me in as your partner for participating, I am ready to go now. As for the bike it dies quickly, as soon as you let the throttle go it dies. Going to Big Lou's tomorrow to check it out and change the rear tire, any other advice would be great. I also see that you got a couple new rides. Isn't the 250F great, I bought mine and had it for a month before selling cause of the bad news. I want to ride that baby. Plus check out DW page under feel sorry for me and see the pics of the new ride.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
On the idling issue... 2 strokes definitely can idle. My 125 will sit there just barely turning over for as long as you want it too. (Well, ok, if you left it for more than a minute it would probably load up and quit.) Some people feel they get better throttle responds when they are tuned so that their bikes don't idle. I haven't found this to be the case with my bike, but you may find different. Adjusting the idle is real easy, I'm not sure of the carb on the CR, but there should be a on the side of the slide bore that screws in and out... probably has a spring on it. This would be your idle speed control... in increases the idle, out slows it down. I'd try running that screw in a few turns and seeing if it will idle. If the bike starts and runs fine other than no idle, I'm sure its just set too low.

Other things to know... burn good oil, make sure your jetting is setup pretty good, keep the tranny oil and filter fresh, burn good grade gas, and HAVE FUN. 125's are a BLAST! Good luck!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Glad to see you'll be making it Rich.

Your CR has the same carb that my 250 had, just a smaller version. The idle and choke circuit are the same so to raise the idle you turn the choke knob. Counterclockwise to increase. Are you sure your choke functions correctly. My CR broke the shaft in the choke assembly twice so when you pulled or turned the knob nothing happend.

If it will help you I'll mail the manual to you and you can bring it back to me at DW. Just let me know. Otherwise I'll bring it to DW.

On a side note, that 94 CR250 I had with me last year might have been the best handling bike I've ever owned. Your 95 CR should be about the same. It won't have the grin factor of the 250F but its still a fun bike.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
The 94 CR125 I had would foul the plug if I let it idle to much. Have you checked the power valve or air filter for cleanliness or a possible reed valve problem? An no I'm not questioning your mechanical apptitude, just my first thoughts on the probable cause.

Rich250F

Jun 11, 2002
I am headed over to Big Lou's tonight for some further assistance with this problem. I bought a new throttle cable today the old one looked frayed at the ends plus the throttle sticks. Maybe a gummy carb. I will send you a PM with my address for the manual. I will return it at DW. How long are you going to be at DW Slower? And do you or anybody else know the factory clicker positions for the forks and shock.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Don't let anyone yank your chain. 2 strokes will idle if properly jetted. Be it a 125 or a 500.

Rich250F

Jun 11, 2002
Thanks for the help everybody, Lou and I got it figured out tonight. She is purring like a kitten, make that a bobcat, whe even has a nice idle. Need a new throttle tube, this is why it was sticking. Other then that she is set to go to DW. I will see you all Thursday morning. Thanks for the manual slower.

Top Bottom